March 28, 2024, 04:51:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is microstir  (Read 5794 times)

Offline saigon-heli

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is microstir
« on: August 04, 2006, 07:34:35 AM »
Hi,

While searching for fluid mixing system, I found a term called Microstir. I am sure what is it. Could you let me know what is Microstir technology what's advantage compared to standard fluid mixing system.

I also looking for a medium size of fluid mixing system (methanol & lub). If you know, please send me a link or copy.

Thanks,

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: What is microstir
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:15:25 AM »
Hello saigon-heli,

I performed a 'google-search' and found a benchtop Microstir unit at the following website address http://www.hireseng.com/products.html and a description of Microstir is also in the following document http://dysa.northwestern.edu/Pubs/PhilTransRoySocCampbell.pdf.  It appears that microstir is a low volume mixer (in this example, it was 10 microlitres).  The elements can be microscopic stirrer bars, piezoelectric membranes, or gas bubbles.

When I have used microscopic stirring bars in a laboratory setting, these plastic-coated magnetic bars almost eliminate the contamination of the mixing fluids with 'typical' metal parts.  For example, when mixing hydrochloric acid with nitric acid, a polymer mixer is typically preferred due to the high number of metals which react to this blend.  These mixers can have variable mixing speeds from 10 rpm to 10,000 rpm.

By the way, what is lub?

I hope this helps,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline saigon-heli

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:01:38 AM »
Eugene,

Thanks,

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:09:58 PM »
Your Welcome  :)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links