March 28, 2024, 11:33:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to chose methylating agent?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Jfalken

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
How to chose methylating agent?
« on: March 13, 2019, 02:31:42 AM »
I am supposed to discuss the pros and cons of different methylating agents and what to look for when choosing a proper methylating agent yet I have no idea where to start.
I can discuss it from a safety standpoint but not from a standpoint in regards to efficiency and when to use and not use certain agents. What could limit the use of one.
My overall impression was that Grignard reagents could do the trick but apparently Grignard is Grignard and methylating agents are methylating agents.
Could someone please enlighten me on the topic of methylating agents and how to choose a proper one?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: How to chose methylating agent?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:49:46 AM »
Methylation in textbook or Wikipedia may be a good starting point.
AWK

Offline Jfalken

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »

Could not find anything related on wikpedia.
If there's a website I can learn more about this I would really appreciate if you could link it.
I know there are a lot of websites comparing Sn2/Sn1/E1/E2 rxn but havent seen any of the like for methylating agents.

How to chose a proper methylating agent so to speak. Depending on substrate that will be methylated and solvent of choice or if there's a solvent free rxn.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:03:52 AM »
Check methyl iodide or dimethylsulfate

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »

Could not find anything related on wikpedia.
If there's a website I can learn more about this I would really appreciate if you could link it.
I know there are a lot of websites comparing Sn2/Sn1/E1/E2 rxn but havent seen any of the like for methylating agents.

How to chose a proper methylating agent so to speak. Depending on substrate that will be methylated and solvent of choice or if there's a solvent free rxn.
English Wikipedia under "Methylation" contains quite useful information.
Solvent free means also an excess of methylating agents. Sometimes you can get only side products.
AWK

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
Methyl tosylate should be on the list too.

Offline Jfalken

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
Check methyl iodide or dimethylsulfate

Thanks!
I see that dimethylsulfate is very limited in use today due to its toxicity, from wikipedia.
Wikipedia also suggests that trifluoromethanesulfonic acid and Methyl trifluoromethanesulfonate would be "the next best thing" but how can one reason around that?
What should I look for (properties) in methylating agents so to speak.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
IMO you may want to differentiate between cases in which the methyl carbon is electrophilic versus nucleophilic.  Also, have you thought about the reactivity-selectivity principle?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:40:45 AM »
It sounds like a very open-ended question. Methylation of aromatic rings will be different than methylation of proteins or DNA. You will need to limit your scope.

This review paper covers methylation in medicinal chemistry: The Methylation Effect in Medicinal Chemistry
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Jfalken

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:29:45 PM »
It sounds like a very open-ended question. Methylation of aromatic rings will be different than methylation of proteins or DNA. You will need to limit your scope.

This review paper covers methylation in medicinal chemistry: The Methylation Effect in Medicinal Chemistry

Geez, thanks for that. It will keep me busy for the weekend for sure. Appreciate it!  :)

IMO you may want to differentiate between cases in which the methyl carbon is electrophilic versus nucleophilic.  Also, have you thought about the reactivity-selectivity principle?

I haven't given it much thought to be honest, but I will consider it during the weekend and get back you guys here when I know a bit more on the subject!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »

I haven't given it much thought to be honest, but I will consider it during the weekend and get back you guys here when I know a bit more on the subject!
What got me thinking about the first issue is that Grignard reagents are nucleophilic, whereas methyltosylate is electrophilic.  The reactivity-selectivity principle is not really much of a principle (it might qualify as a generalization).  However, there are times when it is useful.

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »
Diazomethane.
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »
"Magic" methyl aka methylfluorosulfonate  :o hideously toxic and volatile. Mostly outdated by methyl triflate.

Sponsored Links