Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

rubber for pickup roller

(1/2) > >>

xchcui:
Hi.

The pickup roller of the printers(all in one printer,in my case)is made,as far as i understand,from soft rubber.
Since i couldn't find any replacement for my worn pickup
roller,is it possible to make my own rubber for the pickup roller from rubbers that easy to find around us/at home?
like bicycle tire,latex gloves,silicone caulk etc?

Thanks.

Enthalpy:
Rubbers are extremely diverse. These parts seem to use a rubber foam. Obtaining all the desired properties (cleanliness, friction, hardness, non-setting...) would need very long experimentation.

What about buying over eBay a broken printer, preferably of the same model, to take its rolls?

Mitch:
In the end, it will be cheaper to buy a new printer. But, I would take it to the hardware store and see if you could find a good match for that rubber.

xchcui:

--- Quote from: Enthalpy on March 15, 2019, 08:29:27 AM ---What about buying over eBay a broken printer, preferably of the same model, to take its rolls?

--- End quote ---
It will cost me almost the same as a new printer,as Mitch also mentioned, due to the shipping cost(large package)and the rubber of the broken printer
could be worn too.
Of course,i prefer to buy new rubber for the roller than make one by myself,but i couldn't find it or similar anywhere.Not at the company,not
at hardware,not in ebay and not even in the chinese shopping sites,where they sell cloning items(though there are roller for other models).
The printer is Canon pixma mx395 all in one and it seems that it is impossible to find pickup roller rubbers for this model.So,is it really impossible to easy renew it somehow with a material that easy to find?
Buying a new printer due to those worn roller will be like buying a new car because the wheel tires of a low miles car are worn.

billnotgatez:
I am not sure about your printer model.
But, many printer companies sell there printer very cheap as to take a loss since they make there money on the cartridges and supplies. Car makers do not make there money that way.
So your statement

--- Quote from: xchcui on March 16, 2019, 08:15:15 AM ---...
Buying a new printer due to those worn roller will be like buying a new car because the wheel tires of a low miles car are worn.

--- End quote ---
does not apply economically.

Although, it is laudable that you are trying to reduce waste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version