March 28, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: rubber for pickup roller  (Read 2987 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
rubber for pickup roller
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:17:51 PM »
Hi.

The pickup roller of the printers(all in one printer,in my case)is made,as far as i understand,from soft rubber.
Since i couldn't find any replacement for my worn pickup
roller,is it possible to make my own rubber for the pickup roller from rubbers that easy to find around us/at home?
like bicycle tire,latex gloves,silicone caulk etc?

Thanks.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: rubber for pickup roller
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:29:27 AM »
Rubbers are extremely diverse. These parts seem to use a rubber foam. Obtaining all the desired properties (cleanliness, friction, hardness, non-setting...) would need very long experimentation.

What about buying over eBay a broken printer, preferably of the same model, to take its rolls?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
In the end, it will be cheaper to buy a new printer. But, I would take it to the hardware store and see if you could find a good match for that rubber.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline xchcui

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
What about buying over eBay a broken printer, preferably of the same model, to take its rolls?
It will cost me almost the same as a new printer,as Mitch also mentioned, due to the shipping cost(large package)and the rubber of the broken printer
could be worn too.
Of course,i prefer to buy new rubber for the roller than make one by myself,but i couldn't find it or similar anywhere.Not at the company,not
at hardware,not in ebay and not even in the chinese shopping sites,where they sell cloning items(though there are roller for other models).
The printer is Canon pixma mx395 all in one and it seems that it is impossible to find pickup roller rubbers for this model.So,is it really impossible to easy renew it somehow with a material that easy to find?
Buying a new printer due to those worn roller will be like buying a new car because the wheel tires of a low miles car are worn.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 01:53:19 PM »
I am not sure about your printer model.
But, many printer companies sell there printer very cheap as to take a loss since they make there money on the cartridges and supplies. Car makers do not make there money that way.
So your statement
Buying a new printer due to those worn roller will be like buying a new car because the wheel tires of a low miles car are worn.
does not apply economically.

Although, it is laudable that you are trying to reduce waste.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »
I have seen these for a dollar at the dollar store.
Black Foam Pool Swim Noodles
https://foamnoodles.com/products/black-foam-noodle?variant=28601706193&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5OR1Z2H4QIVxUCGCh3pGAZ0EAQYAiABEgLDyfD_BwE

Maybe with some trimming and searing they might work.

Maybe doing something with black electrical tape.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
I got something similar on instructables
but did not search long.
You might have better luck and time.

https://www.instructables.com/id/20-Mecanum-Wheels-With-Rubberized-Rollers/

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 07:33:11 PM »
You can also try the silicone tape. It it non-adheisive and fill fuse into a single piece of silicone rubber. Chances are, you do not need to perfectly match the oem rubber properties, something rubbery will do.

Things to consider to match to OEM:
Hardness - this one matters for your application:
Temperature range - probably not super important
chemical resistance - probably not super important

Offline xchcui

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
...many printer companies sell there printer very cheap as to take a loss since they make there money on the cartridges and supplies...
Yes,i am agree with that.In my case,i must install two cartridges(black+color)in order that the printer will work,i can't use only black.And that cost 2/3 of the price of the printer.(if you buy genuine cartridges).My intention was to emphasize how much it doesn't make sense to throw a printer for such a minor thing.

Thanks for your ideas.It looks like one of them may do the job.
I got something similar on instructables
but did not search long.
You might have better luck and time.

https://www.instructables.com/id/20-Mecanum-Wheels-With-Rubberized-Rollers/
Refer to the Plastidip in that site,Can i apply the plasti-dip on the worn rubber or i must remove the old worn rubber and apply the plasti-dip on the plastic part of the roller?which then i will need alot of layers.

...Maybe doing something with black electrical tape..
What did you mean?to enwarp the black electrical tape on the worn rubber,while the sticky side of the tape will turn outside?won't it cause the paper to stuck?
The silicone tape idea sound,also,interesting.In that case,as i ask before, should i enwarp it on the worn rubber or i should remove the rubber and enwarp it on the plastic part?
BTW,in order to get into the pickup roller in that printer,the engineers that designed this printer took care that the person that will try to change the roller by himself will have a very intensive labor since you must dismantle all the printer into many parts and billion screws in order to get into that part,even so that a worn rubber roller is the most common issue on those kind of printers.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »
Okay,i guess i won't get any clarifications,but i have something to start with.
Thank you very much for your help. :)

Sponsored Links