Specialty Chemistry Forums > Nuclear Chemistry and Radiochemistry Forum

Is this a radioactive waste?

(1/1)

QuantumCore:
Hi there everyone. New member here.  I have this chemical waste dug up from a builders building new warehouse near me in my neibourghood. Any professional can tell if its nuclear waste?? Iv taken puctures and also I took samples, they are kinda heavy. As far as I searched looks like Uranyl trioxide, but all Uranyl salts look yellow to me.
Please help identify the substance or what I must do to identify it? There is also a sticky goo within one of barrels.

Best Regards

Borek:
No one will be able to help you just by looking at the pictures.

No idea how things work where you live, but in general it is impossible to determine what it is without some specialized equipment. I would try to call police or firefighters.

Enthalpy:
Find a Geiger counter somewhere (university, eBay, kit...) and check for radioactivity.

Such barrels are ubiquitous and yellow substances too, so I wouldn't think spontaneously of radioactive waste - only in specific locations. But neither would I feel that these barrels are at the right place there.

Mitch:
Radioactive waste would be labeled more clearly, no matter the jurisdiction. But, you can buy Geiger counters online to assuage your radioactive concerns.

billnotgatez:
@QuantumCore
Is this location in the USA?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version