April 19, 2024, 10:04:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Apollo 13  (Read 1233 times)

Offline honestmaxx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Apollo 13
« on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »
      This problem (part a) has three main (somewhat independent) elements.  In the first part you should use your understanding of how rate of production of a compound through time can be used to predict how much material is produced through a given time.  This is very much like driving at a constant speed for a given period of time and then multiplying by the time to determine how far you have gone.  In the second part of the problem you will need to employ the Ideal Gas Law to convert volume to moles. The third part of the problem is in essence, a titration problem.  You are titrating the astronauts to their endpoint with the compound present in the CO2 scrubbers.

a) Assume that a resting human on a space capsule uses 14.8 L O2/hr.  Assume that all of their O2 consumption is used in the following rxn.:   C6H12O6 + 6O2  :rarrow: 6CO2 + 6H2O.   What mass of LiOH would be required to purify the air (i.e., quantitatively remove the CO2 produced by the astronauts) in the space capsule for 2.9 days for 3(three) humans?  Assume that the cabin of the space capsule has  pressure of 0.94 atm and a temperature of 8.1°C.  (Remember, it was chilly.)  Show all calculations.  You must write a balanced chemical equation for the neutralization of CO2 by LiOH to receive full credit.   

b) Describe the molecular basis for the toxicity that the astronauts were experiencing.  A full credit answer must include at least two chemical reactions.

c) Briefly (3 sentences or less) describe a human health problem that causes respiratory acidosis.  Do not copy the description verbatim from the source.  This problem should not involve a person being trapped in a confined space such as a space capsule, mine, submarine, etc.  That is, it should be something that the average nurse or doctor would be more likely to see in a clinical setting.  Use a source other than your text book to find this health problem (web resources are okay), and cite the source.  If you do use an internet source, be sure to include the url (Address) as part of the citation.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Apollo 13
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:06:09 PM »
You have to show work in order for us to help you. Please read forum rules: https://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links