General Forums > Comments for Staff and Comments from Staff

Beta Testing New Theme for Next 24 hours

(1/3) > >>

Mitch:
Hi Everyone,

I've been refreshing the Chemical Forums theme for the past week. The goal is to make it work on mobile devices without having to zoom in. It's also a requirement from Google to keep traffic still coming to us.

The theme still isn't ready for prime time, but I need some feedback before I go back to editing. I've set everyone's theme to this version for the next 24 hours. If you notice anything weird about it or anything that needs fixing. Please; please take a screenshot, and I'll start working on fixing it. My goal is to release the theme by next week.

Thank you for your help.

Note: Members with over 100 posts will be seeing all the ads for this beta test, as I need to make sure Google isn't messing something up for our guests.

jeffmoonchop:
It looks really narrow on my computer screen. Is that to fill the side space with ads?

Mitch:
Hi Jeff, can you take a screenshot?

Borek:

--- Quote from: jeffmoonchop on March 19, 2019, 12:06:44 PM ---It looks really narrow on my computer screen. Is that to fill the side space with ads?

--- End quote ---

If I guess correctly what you mean - no.

It is an old problem that started when monitors got wider and wider. Forums could either go full screen (which often means way too wide for easy reading) or become a centered column - in which case most of the screen space is wasted. Both solutions have their pluses and minuses. In theory narrow version should work better on mobile devices, where the screen is smaller. In reality it depends on many factors and is not guaranteed to be any better and more convenient to use. Some forum engines use aps (like tapatalk), but these ignore most of the customization (especially MathJax) so for us they would be a step backward.

Borek:
BTW, "more about post formatting" link that was near the edit field (can't remember exact wording) is missing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version