April 24, 2024, 01:32:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ferrous Bisglycinate and Sulfuric acid? [TITRATION]  (Read 1557 times)

Offline soy matcha latte

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Ferrous Bisglycinate and Sulfuric acid? [TITRATION]
« on: March 20, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
Hi guys! First post. Not the last though.

I'm currently trying to complete my chemistry write-up on titration which involves potassium permanganate and iron tablets AND capsules. The capsules contain the ingredient FERROUS BISGLYCINATE. I did my bit of research and it's a chelated form of iron, with two glycine molecules bound to it. So I had to basically pulverize the iron tablets and add 100cm3 of sulphuric acid. I'm trying to figure out the equation for the reaction however.
Ferrous bisglycinate is C4H8FeN2O4, so...

C4H8FeN2O4 + H2SO4 ---> ???

Any answer would be taken in and appreciated!
If you guys have SPARE time, please tell me if this is also correct for the iron tablets. They contain FERROUS FUMARATE. I read that salt and acid makes another salt and acid  ::).
I got..

C4H2FeO4 + H2SO4 ---> C4H4O4 + FeSO4
with C4H4O4 being fumaric acid.

HELP.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Ferrous Bisglycinate and Sulfuric acid? [TITRATION]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »
These are normal reactions of displacing weak acid by a stronger one. In the case of glycine, which also has a basic group, in the presence of an excess of sulfuric acid, glycine hydrogen sulfate will be formed.

The second reaction is stoichiometrically correct, though soluble salt in an aqueous solution exists in the form of hydrated ions. Also, glycine hydrogen sulfate is an ionic salt.
AWK

Offline soy matcha latte

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »
Thank you.

I was nly using 100cm3 of diluted 1M sulphuric acid. I then had to put the crushed tablets/sulphuric acid mixture into a volumetric flask and fill it up with deionized water up to the calibrating line. Inverted etc.. However, we had to add another 10cm3 of sulphuric acid prior to actually titrating the aqueous solution with the potassium permanganate.
I know why we had to add acid right before the titration and what the acid does etc.. but I'm confused about what form does the Fe2+ come in for the titration? I was hoping the amino question solved it but it unfortunately didn't.

If glycine hyrogen sulfate was evolved, what happened to the Fe2+ from the ferrous bisglycinate?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »
For titration with KMnO4 always a sufficient excess of sulfuric acid is used.

Concerning the second question - usually, sulfate is used as a counterion. You may as well use a hydrogen sulfate or sulfate ion for both cations. This will change only the number of acid molecules in the stoichiometry of the reaction. Both ions exist in dilute sulfuric acid. Only at a concentration of less than 10-3 M, it can be concluded that only sulfate ions practically exist in the solution. When you crystallize salts from concentrated sulfuric acid, hydrogen sulfate crystals only sometimes fall out.
AWK

Sponsored Links