March 19, 2024, 01:53:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Beta Testing New Theme for Next 24 hours  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Beta Testing New Theme for Next 24 hours
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been refreshing the Chemical Forums theme for the past week. The goal is to make it work on mobile devices without having to zoom in. It's also a requirement from Google to keep traffic still coming to us.

The theme still isn't ready for prime time, but I need some feedback before I go back to editing. I've set everyone's theme to this version for the next 24 hours. If you notice anything weird about it or anything that needs fixing. Please; please take a screenshot, and I'll start working on fixing it. My goal is to release the theme by next week.

Thank you for your help.

Note: Members with over 100 posts will be seeing all the ads for this beta test, as I need to make sure Google isn't messing something up for our guests.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:34:52 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Beta Testing New Theme for Next 24 hours
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
It looks really narrow on my computer screen. Is that to fill the side space with ads?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
Hi Jeff, can you take a screenshot?
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:11:41 PM »
It looks really narrow on my computer screen. Is that to fill the side space with ads?

If I guess correctly what you mean - no.

It is an old problem that started when monitors got wider and wider. Forums could either go full screen (which often means way too wide for easy reading) or become a centered column - in which case most of the screen space is wasted. Both solutions have their pluses and minuses. In theory narrow version should work better on mobile devices, where the screen is smaller. In reality it depends on many factors and is not guaranteed to be any better and more convenient to use. Some forum engines use aps (like tapatalk), but these ignore most of the customization (especially MathJax) so for us they would be a step backward.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
BTW, "more about post formatting" link that was near the edit field (can't remember exact wording) is missing.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:02:15 PM »
IMHO the font in messages is too small now. This also makes sub/superscripts in LaTeX (which scales with the font) barely readable.

Chances are MathJax can be configured independently which would solve problems with formulas, but I would go for larger font nonetheless.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
I attached the screenshot, its not a big deal just looked more narrow than before.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
IMHO the font in messages is too small now. This also makes sub/superscripts in LaTeX (which scales with the font) barely readable..

For accessibility, surely body text should always be 100%. It's then up to the user to resize as they see fit.

mitchthest

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 07:04:11 PM »
IMHO the font in messages is too small now.

Looks like the new template set the font at 78%. I pushed it to 90%. Ok? Or does it need to be set higher?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »
Did we have the current time when looking at any forum page in the past. Not sure it it is that important.
------
Also in the past I thought we saw more info when looking at each forum on the main forum screen. Not sure it it is that important either.
------
Side note
I am on my laptop and the font is larger with some wrap around of menus. In the past, I think I had set up the laptop so that I would get a certain look with an attached 55 inch TV screen. But, I am not changing my setting yet since I am on the road and not attached to the big screen, Also, I will wait till the Beta testing is more mature. In any case the large type is easy on old eyes.
In any case I am trying to get more proficient with the Beta.

EDIT
The Insert SMILES button seems to be covering other buttons. At first I thought it was covering the quote button but now I see that button is moved over. I guess you just had to make a large button for SMILES and that is the appearance.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:14:51 PM by billnotgatez »

mitchthest

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »
EDIT
The Insert SMILES button seems to be covering other buttons. At first, I thought it was covering the quote button but now I see that button is moved over. I guess you just had to make a large button for SMILES and that is the appearance.

SMILES button fixed! Thank you for pointing it out. I'm glad the font is working out for your eyes, Bill.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 04:14:27 AM »
Looks like the new template set the font at 78%. I pushed it to 90%. Ok? Or does it need to be set higher?

Larger - definitely no. At 90% it doesn't strain my eyes and is acceptable.

At the same time now it looks as it is larger than in the old template. Question of getting used to (or finding the sweet spot where it will be identical).

mitchthest

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
Ok Borek, I can try lowering it just a touch. We'll do another test this weekend.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
I've updated the forum title to the one we used back on Enigma. It'll only show on the home page, and only in the new theme.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links