April 28, 2024, 08:53:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Suggest a procedure for separating the metal ions by precipitation.  (Read 5817 times)

Offline funboy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-4
An industrial plant that specializes in cleaning up waste liquids is confronted with a problem of seperating the metal ions foudn in a large vat of solution.  By analysis, the solution was found to contain varying quantities of silver, barium and iron(III) ions.  Suggest a procedure for separating the metal ions by precipitation.

I figure I want to find a metal that is more active than silver, barium and iron.  I have an activity series chart that shows silver and iron on the chart but no barium.  Am I not thinking about the question properly??
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:22:15 AM by Mitch »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Question envolving reactions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
Wrong approach. Think about solubilties of different salts. And search forums, I believe the same question was asked before.

Edit: it was asked twice.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline funboy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-4
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 02:57:52 AM »
After reading the other posts, I looked up a table of solubilities in water chart

Im confused with the responses the other members gave to the origina question because the chart I have shows that barion, iron(III) and silver are nearly insoluble in phosphates.  If I wanted to remove all three without seperating them seperately couldnt I just add a phosphate to the vat??  In doing this am I not abiding to some rule with the above three elements and thats why this wasnt suggested??

Chris

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 04:05:06 AM »
If I wanted to remove all three without seperating them seperately couldnt I just add a phosphate to the vat??

Should work OK. Just a note: you will probably want to add phosphoric acid, not phosphate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline stoneburner

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Suggest a procedure for separating the metal ions by precipitation.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:48:14 PM »
The problem does indeed ask about SEPARATING the metals - not getting them out all together.
What other common anions are there besides phosphate? What are the solubilities of these salts?
(and don't overlook OH- as a comon anion....) 

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Suggest a procedure for separating the metal ions by precipitation.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:36 AM »
I think, for total precipitation of these cations the best is Na2HPO4 or you need to control the pH of solution.
AWK

Sponsored Links