March 29, 2024, 07:48:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Birkeland Eyde apparatus synthesized an unknown compound.  (Read 1222 times)

Offline uraniumtungstenuranium

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Birkeland Eyde apparatus synthesized an unknown compound.
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:37:17 PM »
warning: this is my first post

ok, so i constructed a Birkeland Eyde apparatus and everything has been working normally, I'm using a small NST but what can you do the bigger ones are very difficult to find. Anyways, as I run my apparatus for extended periods of time, a white substance appears to deposit on the wall of the glass chamber in which the electric arc resides. The longer I run it the more deposit forms. I would like to try and figure out exactly what this compound is. My apparatus is designed in such a way that the only elements this compound could be formed from are Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Chromium, Iron. I'm fairly sure that it couldn't be the chromium and and iron from the stainless steal electrodes as I have previously tried this with copper electrodes and the same deposit formed. I don't believe that CO2 in the air could have contributed to the making of the compound but there could be that was well.

If any of you have experience this before or have any theories at to what this compound could be please let me know.

Thank you.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Birkeland Eyde apparatus synthesized an unknown compound.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:50:33 PM »
Warning: its not Harry Potter

We dont have a crystal ball here. The best is you get some of the residue and do an analyses by EDX or XFA if you have access to it to figure out which elements are present.

But I guess it still something which comes  from your electrodes.
Is there any zinc, aluminium,  titanium present.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 04:56:31 PM »
understandable, but hopefully as I run my apparatus for long enough i will be able to collect some and further analyse its properties. I suspect it could be N2O5 (Dinitrogen pentoxide) or H3NO, (hydroxylamine).

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
The Birkeland Eyde device can only produce NO or NO2, other oxides not possible. And for Hydroxyl amin where does the hydrogen comes from. Is the air wet which do you use?

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
yes there is a very high percentage of water vapor in the air that feeds into the electric arc.

Sponsored Links