April 18, 2024, 02:42:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The solubility of salts  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Ben04

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The solubility of salts
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:52:34 AM »
Hello,
I have been trying to understand the reason why potassium chloride is less soluble in water than sodium chloride. My chemistry textbooks state that the solubility of a salt in water decreases as its lattice energy increases. What confuses me is that the lattice energy in NaCl is bigger than in KCl, so what is NaCl more soluble if the ionic bond in KCl is easier to break?

I understand that Potassium is heavier than Sodium, which should make it easier to dissolve sodium salts, but then why is it that KBr is more soluble than KCl? The bromide ion is heavier than the chlorine ion... I understand though that the bond becomes weaker larger ions...

Thank you,
Ben

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: The solubility of salts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:41:40 AM »
My chemistry textbooks state that the solubility of a salt in water decreases as its lattice energy increases.

All other things unchanged - yes.

But as the radii of cations and anions change, solvation changes, and the comparison becomes more difficult.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:21:25 AM »
All the simple reasoning I've seen about solubility fail on one salt or an other. Leave them in the textbooks and use experimental data.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »
Hello,
I have been trying to understand the reason why potassium chloride is less soluble in water than sodium chloride.

This statement is true below ~30°C only.
AWK

Sponsored Links