March 28, 2024, 07:52:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is light naphtha better solvent than heavy naphtha?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
Why is light naphtha better solvent than heavy naphtha?
« on: March 31, 2019, 03:33:52 AM »
Hi.
I read that light naphtha is used, among other, as a solvent. According to my understanding, light naphtha has higher volatility than heavy naphtha. Is this (the volatility) the reason that makes it dissolve the rubber better than heavy naphtha?

Heavy naphtha, which has a lower volatility than light naphtha, seems to stay longer on rubber before it evaporates and it makes more sense that, for that reason, they should dissolve the rubber better than light naphtha, which evaporates more quickly.

I have mineral turpentine which contains "Naphtha (petroleum), hydrodesulfurized heavy" (CAS number: 64742-82-1). As far as I understand, it is heavy naphtha. Can I use it to dissolve rubber in the same efficiency as light naphtha? Or it is less/more efficient than light naphtha?
Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Why is light naphtha better solvent than heavy naphtha?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 06:37:05 AM »
Light naphtha contains smaller molecules, smaller molecules can penetrate much more easily.

Evaporation doesn't change this property. Yes, light naphtha is much more volatile and evaporates faster, but it just means it is inconvenient to use in the open.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xchcui

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »
Light naphtha contains smaller molecules, smaller molecules can penetrate much more easily.

Evaporation doesn't change this property. Yes, light naphtha is much more volatile and evaporates faster, but it just means it is inconvenient to use in the open.
So,it is related to the size of the molecules chain
and i assume that if i immerse a piece of rubber in heavy naphtha solution vs light naphtha solution,the rubber will dissolved faster and better in the light one.
But if i only apply(not immerse)a layer of heavy naphtha on a piece of rubber vs a layer of light naphtha,wouldn't the heavy naphtha have more time to work on the rubber and dissolve it better vs the light naphtha that will evaporate faster and will not have time to dissolve it,even though the light naphtha has better penetration?

Offline xchcui

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »
Borek?Anyone?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »

So,it is related to the size of the molecules chain
and i assume that if i immerse a piece of rubber in heavy naphtha solution vs light naphtha solution,the rubber will dissolved faster and better in the light one.
But if i only apply(not immerse)a layer of heavy naphtha on a piece of rubber vs a layer of light naphtha,wouldn't the heavy naphtha have more time to work on the rubber and dissolve it better vs the light naphtha that will evaporate faster and will not have time to dissolve it,even though the light naphtha has better penetration?

Your logic seems right.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline xchcui

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
Hi Mitch.

I hope so :)

Sponsored Links