March 28, 2024, 04:52:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Assignment questions  (Read 1576 times)

Offline clarkiscalling

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Assignment questions
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »
I’m not here to bulls&$# you all. I’m in high school and I was paired with two assholes that gave me the three hardest questions out of all of the questions we separately have two answer (four per person) and my teacher already has 20 kids coming up to her so if I go that route I’ll never get an answer or help before this assignment is due (Which is today). To make matters worse it’s a county assignment and despite searching multiple sources I haven’t found anything close to what I need for the four questions. I’ve already done one so the three other ones I need are:

Why is Arsenic (IV) not as harmful?

Why are these salts (Calcium, Arsenate, or Ferric Arsenate) less harmful?

Arsenic (III) can be changed by chemical oxidation into products that are not as harmful. Give the chemical reaction to break down cyanide by oxidation.

Our teacher constantly tells us that chemists are lazy, so my hypothesis is that nobody’s gonna help. If you DO, though, I’ll tell my teacher after this quarter that some chemists on the internet helped me. Jokes aside though, if you decide to help me, it would really make my day (and my grade).

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Chemistry Assignment questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
First of all, the questions are meaningless without a frame of reference. To wit:

Why is Arsenic (IV) not as harmful?
Not as harmful as what?

Why are these salts (Calcium, Arsenate, or Ferric Arsenate) less harmful?
Less harmful than what?

Our teacher constantly tells us that chemists are lazy, so my hypothesis is that nobody’s gonna help.
Don't really know what that means, but here we have a policy that you have to show work to receive help. You could start by explaining what you know about toxicity of arsenic, and maybe also identifying what you are supposed to be comparing "harmfulness" (whatever you're defining it as) to.

Also, arsenic is most commonly in the III or V oxidation state, not IV oxidation state. Are you sure you're reproducing the question properly?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK304380/
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links