April 19, 2024, 08:31:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dynamic vs static equilibrium- pros/ cons?  (Read 706 times)

Offline dynasaur666

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dynamic vs static equilibrium- pros/ cons?
« on: April 08, 2019, 08:57:00 AM »
Hi guys, just a brief one.

I have 100kg of reactant.

I want 100kg of product. Via some perfect industrial process, I get it. (I know this never happens; the theoretical yield never equals the actual yield... That’s not the focus of this question.)

My question is, how on earth is that process affected at all by whether or not what’s going inside in the reaction vessel is ‘dynamic’ or not?

Why do I need a bubbling broth of chemicals that are constantly flitting between reactant and product state, when all I’m actually after is the product?

I asked someone about this recently and they said it might be because you can recycle unreacted reactant in a dynamic system. Can you not do that in a static system, an irreversible one??

I just really, really just don’t get it . Please someone put me out of my misery…

p.s.

Or am I just looking at this the wrong way? Is it that no one's trying to argue there are commercial advantages to a dynamic system over a static one; it's just that this is how you maximise yield from a reaction that happens to be dynamic...?

It just seemed like the course content was suggesting the former

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Dynamic vs static equilibrium- pros/ cons?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
I'm not sure what you're after. All chemical equilibrium is dynamic, not static. You don't get to choose.

Is this some chemical engineering question about batch versus continuous flow reactors? That might be a question worth asking, but I don't think you've given enough information to answer it in your case.

Sponsored Links