March 28, 2024, 03:22:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dicarboxylic acid and diol reaction to form a carboxyl group ended diester  (Read 1467 times)

Offline slidemat

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello everyone!

I struggle to find a way to create a diester (carboxyl group ended) from dicarboxylic acid and diol reaction. I know that when the reaction between two is acid-catalyzed the polycondensation occurs with creation of polyester. I would like to stop the reaction with A-B-A product (where A is coming from a dicarboxylic acid and B - from diol).

Could someone help me with that?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Relatively simply you have a chance to obtain such esters of oxalic acid with 1,2 and 1,3-diols in diluted solutions.
AWK

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
If the ester is a 6-membered ring you dont need dilute solution.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:13:56 AM by rolnor »

Offline slidemat

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Actually I am looking to obtain a linear product with a structure similar to this:

For the policarboxylic acid I would use for example a succinic acid.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
You could use a unsaturated acid, make a di-ester and then cleave/oxidase the doublebonds with permanganate or ozone/hydrogenperoxide

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
1). If your dicarboxylic acid can form a cyclic anhydride (as in the given example: succinic anhydride), you simply react 1 mole of the diol with 2 moles the cyclic anhydride without catalysis and preferably, without solvent.
2). Otherwise, you prepare the monomethyl ester of your dicarboxylic acid, followed by transesterification with the diol at 2+/1 molar ratio, under basic catalysis.
You search in the literature for the appropriate monoesterification method because this depends on the structure of the dicarboxylic acid, whether aromatic, conjugated or not.
Indicatively, a method for monoesterification of aliphatic dicarboxylic acids is described in the Vogel’s textbook of practical organic chemistry but the obtained yield is rather moderate.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:20:03 PM by pgk »

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Wouldn't the proportions of reactants suffice? An excess of acid. Adding the diol slowly, preferably already diluted?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Enthalpy,
That's my first gut reaction too, but in doing that you virtually always still end up with some amount of di-substitution. If you don't have a good way to separate them (like a huge polarity difference between mono and bis substitution because you added some greasy group) then it is tricky by its very nature.

This is essentially how a condensation polymerization runs. First you make dimer, then trimer, then tetramer, etc. Usually the low degree of polymerization species hugely dominate until you have high conversion, but there is always a distribution of different -mers.

I think cleverer are approaches like rolnor or pgk suggest, which try to prevent undesired substitution with other pathways.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Monoesters of dicarboxylic acids can also be prepared in relatively high yields, by transesterification of diesters with the corresponding dicarboxylic acid under acid catalysis.
Organic Syntheses, 19, 45, (1939)
Organic Syntheses, Collective Volume 2, 276, (1943)
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV2P0276

Sponsored Links