Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

MnO2 Tricks

(1/2) > >>

AlphaScent:
Does anyone have any tricks for KMnO4 work up.  The MnO2 produced is pretty gross to filter.  Filter aid works relatively well, but are there any chemical methods to reduce or dissolve the MnO2.

The older literature treats the reaction with SO2, but that is pretty gross.  I have read in another post that sulfuric acid followed by H2O2 is a possibility.  Also, sulfuric and NaCl.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any tricks or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

wildfyr:
I don't but sulfuric and NaCl does sound the easiest and safest!

AlphaScent:
Using sulfuric and NaCl will produce Mn2+ and Cl2 gas.  Chlorine is kind of gross but I guess this is why god made hoods : )

wildfyr:
I can't say I ever feel great about combining organics and H2O2 for explode-y reasons.

You can produce SO2/HCl by quenching thionyl chloride with water or alcohols and venting it through the reaction mixture. Urgh.

I stick by my first opinion.

Babcock_Hall:
Disclaimer:  I have never tried this with MnO2.  To remove something that is a fine precipitate, I might be tempted to use a Corex centrifuge tube at a moderate g-value.  Corex tubes are better than other glass centrifuge tubes but can still be broken by spinning too quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version