March 29, 2024, 07:10:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can we conduct reactions for insoluble materials?  (Read 986 times)

Offline EngPet

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How can we conduct reactions for insoluble materials?
« on: April 12, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »
I am working on metal organic polyhedra topic to synthesize new metal-organic cages or other based frameworks. I want to conduct postsynthetic modification for one cage, but the solubility is very poor in most solvents, only methanol can dissolve but it needs large volume.
My question for who in the field of MOFs, COFs, MOPs, and other related chemistries, how can I deal with the problem of insolubility of synthesized materials to conduct postsynthetic reactions? what are the proposed strategies and methods to attain the target modified compound?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: How can we conduct reactions for insoluble materials?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »
Its common to do chlorinations of sulfonic acid sodium salts in neat thionyl chloride. They are insoluble but surface reactions occur and the resulting sulfonyl chloride is soluble in thionyl chloride (and other organics) and eventually it is all consumed. This is obviously a very aggressive and reactive medium example.

Do you feel that you've really exhausted all possible solvents (and at their reflux temps)? DMF/DMSO/DMAc/HMPA? Anisole? Diphenyl ether? chlorobenzenes? CS2? Diglyme? Ionic liquids? Using methanol or any common solvent in a pressure vessel/bomb reactor above its boiling point?

No clue what your material is but usually if you dig in the solvent shelf, heat stuff up, and its a well-defined material, it will dissolve "enough".

Sponsored Links