April 18, 2024, 04:18:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid/Base similar to Redox?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline mayple

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acid/Base similar to Redox?
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:38:49 PM »
Could acid/base reactions be considered the same as redox reactions except with exchanging protons instead of electrons? I was reviewing for a test and I wondered if I could think of them that way. If not, what are the differences between acid/base reactions and redox reactions besides what they transfer?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Acid/Base similar to Redox?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:44 AM »
You described already the differences, in redox reactions the electrons are transferred, what means the oxidation number of atoms will change, like Fe2+ => Fe3+ + e- or 2 H+ + 2 e- => H2

In acid base reaction the protons (hydronium) are transferred. At least you get neutralisation like H+ + OH- => H2O or NH4+ + NH2- => 2 NH3, etc.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 06:37:28 AM »
Technically you can try any generalization of this kind. Question is - does it give a valuable new information, or a new insight into the chemistry? Can it lead to some new predictions? If not, it is most likely a waste of time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mayple

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
Technically you can try any generalization of this kind. Question is - does it give a valuable new information, or a new insight into the chemistry? Can it lead to some new predictions? If not, it is most likely a waste of time.
If it helps me or my peers remember the difference for quizzes and tests then I don’t think it’s a waste of time lmao :)

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »
There is one very big difference - metals conduct electrons, but they don't conduct protons. Coupling redox reactions with electron transfer across an electrode surface means that redox reactions can drive, or be driven by, an electric current (giving rise to a galvanic or an electrolytic cell respectively). The whole vast field of electrochemistry involves redox reactions, but you can't do this with purely acid/base reactions.

Sponsored Links