Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SAT II Chem  (Read 1169 times)

Offline holamynameisbob6

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
SAT II Chem
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask a test question but anyways
1. what determines the chemical properties of an element? If its electrons then why doesn't O2- and Ne have similar chemical properties? (based on a practice test they don't)
2. Also can someone explain why transition metals tend to form colors? i dont understand the explanations online.
3. where can I find good materials for descriptive chemistry? (flame test colors, solution colors, gas colors, and other random factoids)
(edit) 4. do gas always exert the same amount of pressure? meaning if I had a rigid container with 1 mole of H2. Then I add 3 moles of O2. Is the partial pressure of H2 the same as the original pressure before I added O2?

Thanks!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: SAT II Chem
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
1. what determines the chemical properties of an element? If its electrons then why doesn't O2- and Ne have similar chemical properties? (based on a practice test they don't)

Electrons - but not alone. You can't directly compare a charged molecule with a single atom.

2. Also can someone explain why transition metals tend to form colors? i dont understand the explanations online.

Can you at least quote an explanation you don't understand and explain which part you don't get?

4. do gas always exert the same amount of pressure? meaning if I had a rigid container with 1 mole of H2. Then I add 3 moles of O2. Is the partial pressure of H2 the same as the original pressure before I added O2?

Yes, partial pressure of a given gas doesn't depend on the presence of other gases.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: SAT II Chem
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »
Yes, partial pressure of a given gas doesn't depend on the presence of other gases.
Assuming the gases behave ideally, ofc.  ;)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links