April 20, 2024, 01:44:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nicotine salts  (Read 2111 times)

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
Nicotine salts
« on: May 03, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »
Not sure if this is the right section of the forum to ask this in, but since it deals with consumption into human body I figured I'll post here.

Anyhow,
I am doing some research on vaping, trying to get my friend to quit smoking.
There are 2 sources of nicotine in eliquid (ejuice): freebase nicotine and nicotine salts. I've seen some arguments that nicotine salts should not be used in high power vape devices, because they "crystallize" and damage the tissue. I really do not see how that is possible, but wanted to get your opinions. NOW, the high power "subohm" devices produce allot more vapor and consume juice faster, hence nicotine concentration needs to be lower 0-12mg/ml vs 20+ for low power devices. So, you can get nicotine poisoning from high power devices if you use high concentration of nicotine salts. Freebase nicotine has harder throat hit than salts, so it's harder to overdose due to high concentration than with salts. But salts "crystallizing" in high power device seems rubbish... what do you all think?

Usually ejuice consists of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine and some flavor. Flavor and nicotine come as solutions in PG or VG, so like 95% of the ejuice is some mixure of PG and VG.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Nicotine salts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
I think the concern is crystal formation (solid deposit) in the lungs as opposed to absorption into blood, the former of which can lead to long term inflammation. Chronic inflammation is well-connected to cancer and other poor outcomes.

If you really want to do your friend a favor, help them get off nicotine products period. Vaping may or may not be better than cigarette smoking, but it seems to be a no-brainer that taking foreign material into your lungs constantly over years can't be healthy, no matter the composition.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
Re: Nicotine salts
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »
I think the concern is crystal formation (solid deposit) in the lungs as opposed to absorption into blood, the former of which can lead to long term inflammation. Chronic inflammation is well-connected to cancer and other poor outcomes.

If you really want to do your friend a favor, help them get off nicotine products period. Vaping may or may not be better than cigarette smoking, but it seems to be a no-brainer that taking foreign material into your lungs constantly over years can't be healthy, no matter the composition.
The goal is to taper nicotine level gradually to 0. She is now a pack a day smoker... I got her a big, powerful vape which delivers great flavor and I am mixing juices to taper from 9mg/ml to 0. I am using salt nic, due to less throat hit and "more similar to cigarette" nicotine absorption than pure nic to help her switch from tocaco to vape, then taper nic down. Mostly curios / worried if am missing something in regards to salt nic in subohm device.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:35:03 PM by pcm81 »

Sponsored Links