April 29, 2024, 03:39:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction aldehydes/amides  (Read 13298 times)

Offline HP

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-5
Reaction aldehydes/amides
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:37:33 AM »
Hi friends,
My new topic is a question about possible reactions between aliphatic aldehydes with amides for example:
R-CH2CHO + R1NHCOR2, heat -->  ???
I think first about reaction carbonyl with NH, which though weak acid in heating may be this happen, and what about some acid catalyst:
R-CH2CHO + R1NHCOR2 --> R-CH2CH(OH)N(R1)-COR2 (1)
Then after dehydration step this aduct should lead to:
R-CH=CH-N(R1)-COR2 (2)
This product is something like a Schiff base but of amide and now i can't name it right :)
Also thinking and about possible intramolecular condensation between aducts forming ether bonds (1):
 2R-CH2CH(OH)N(R1)-COR2 -->R-CH2CH--O--CH---R
Please if any one is competent such type condensation reactions of aldehydes/amides or know something to share his knowledge with me in this discussion.
Regards from here raining
xpp

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
Re: Reaction aldehydes/amides
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:35:49 AM »
I looked for 'amide aldehyde condensation' on Google and I found this article. It sounds interesting, although you might have already read it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14502613&dopt=Abstract

Greetings from rainy and windy Amsterdam.

Offline HP

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 04:27:33 AM »
Thank you for the reply,, I also googled my search and found some articles on this subject but there weren't any detailed mechanism this reactions given. And also i couldn't find any example of this type reactions of amides with aldehydes. So if anyone have book source this subject pls for share :)
In theoretical plan i continue discussion on possible etherification reaction between aducts (1) as i described prev...So where H2O will come from, or is possible the both dehydration step reactions  ???
Thank you
xpp

leeying

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:15 AM »
If you want  acid catalysts, there are some oxides acted as acid catalysts. eg: CuO,Co3O4,Fe2O3 :)

Offline HP

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »
Hm that sounds interesting... And do you have any hint how these Me-oxides act as catalysts for this type condensation ? I mean if they form some intermediate compound with one of the reagents eg aldehyde or amide. I can imagine only some reaction of the amide NH with these amphoteric oxides forming oxohydroxyde and N:-Me+ also know that amides form some complex compounds with trans metal compounds like GaCl3 which break out the inter and intra H-bonds and also coordinate with N-e-pair...About aldehydes and Me-oxides i know few : as i remember when EtOH pass true heat Cu wire it oxidise to acetaldehyde which may further oxidise to acetic acid, and as i remember CuO have some role these transformations also Co-catalyst in the Wacker process :)
Well i am still looking for my detail mechanism these condensations and i am close i think and hope :P Though it seems to be a well working reaction it's strange it's not mentioned in the books i have which is pitty (for books:).
xpp

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:03 PM »
In this document, the first step of the amidocarbonylation reaction mechanism (under Scheme 2)  involves a reversible condensation of an aldehyde and acetamide. 

http://stratingh.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/FILES/root/VriesJGde/1996/JOrgChemdeVriesJG/1996JOrgChemdeVriesJG.pdf

Offline HP

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:39:42 PM »
Thank you for the nice article - it get inlight me to some extend :) It's interesting that described amidocarbonylation is revirsible and on the 2nd stage: R-CH=CH-NHCO-CH3. I think this compound is similar to some extend to Schiff bases which readily hydrolyze but do you think NHCO bond may act as stbilizing group and what tautomerism possible  ???
xpp

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
I think the enamide could tautomerize to form R-CH2-C=N-CO-CH3, but they probably left it out of the mechanism because the enamide is the species reacting with the cobalt compound.  Unless the conditions are strongly acidic or basic, I don't think the enamide would hydrolyze because the N-CO- group is pretty stable.

Offline HP

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:11:22 PM »
Yah you are right about this possible tautomerization - its something as nonexisting ethyleneamine to ethylimine:
 CH2=CH-NH2<--->CH3-CH=NH  ;) But what if R1-CH=CH-N(CH3)-CO-R2, then i think such tautomerism is imposible and enamide the only possible product...About hydrolyze stability it's really interesting and i dont have specific knowledge - we all know about hydrolysis of amides in basic or acidic conditions but what about in this compounds where have conjugated 2 bond system between N-atom more or less stable ??? Also if these compounds hydrolyze in basic media do you think it's possible the released free aldehyde in situ do further aldol condensations...
xpp

Sponsored Links