April 19, 2024, 05:41:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polybutylacrylate mechanical properties  (Read 1720 times)

Offline nilsmonney

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Polybutylacrylate mechanical properties
« on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
Hello to all,
I am a mechanical engineer that has a small issue with chemistry at the moment  ::)
Here is my problem : I am investigating the capacity of a polyethylene sticker to "follow" 1:1 the uniaxial deformation of a steel tensile specimen without shearing of the adhesive.
Knowing nothing about the glue contained in the sticker, we performed a FTIR and determined the adhesive was Acronal 4D - based (that is BASF's Aqueous dispersion of polybutylacrylate basis for adhesives as I get it).
Here is where I get stuck : I haven't been able to find any adhesive datasheet/information clearly stating that it is based on this product.
Due to this, I am not able to obtain any mechanical properties (shear values) of this adhesive to perform my calculations.
I would be very grateful if anybody was able to help me and provide the name of a glue based on this BASF product (or identical chemical basis)!
Thank you
NM

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Polybutylacrylate mechanical properties
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
Good luck to find mechanical data for adhesives... One difficulty is that the bond breaks at the interface, not at within the glue, so the shear strength is not a property of the adhesive itself. It depends on the other materials, and fundamentally on how well they were glued, including how clean. Adhesive manufacturers don't want to provide data for conditions independent of their product.

Did you already try to evaluate the shear stress in the glue interface? Steel rarely exceeds 1% strain, polyethylene is highly deformable, so shear stress in the glue layer should be very small.

The general trend for glued assemblies is like with elastomers: don't try to compute, refer instead to expert knowledge, and experiment. Except that you won't experiment ageing.

If you need provable reliable long-term function, don't glue. Engrave markings on the surface, rivet a plate...

Sponsored Links