March 28, 2024, 07:44:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calorimetry question  (Read 937 times)

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Calorimetry question
« on: May 20, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »
I am trying to solve the following problem. I already have the answer, it is 0.38 J/(g x k)

"When 1.0 × 10^2 g of an unknown metal
at 80.0°C is placed in a calorimeter containing 1.0 × 10^2 g of water, the temperature of the water rises from 20.0°C to 25.0°C. Given that the specific heat of water is 4.184 J/g•K, what is the specific heat of the metal?" 

I am trying to solve it by using the idea: qH2O = -qMetal , and therefore msΔT = -(msΔT), where one side is for water and the other side is for the metal.

The problem is that it seems like I am missing two variables, when I essentially only have one equation. I do not know the specific heat of the metal, and I also do not know the change in temperature of the metal. Doesn't the change in temperature of the metal depend on the specific heat of the metal?

This question is from an MTEL practice exam (high school teacher's license) that I am helping somebody with. Is there a typo or something missing? Is there a second equation I should be using to account for the two variables I do not know? Or am I missing something else?

I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Calorimetry question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:05:24 AM »
Can the final temperature of the metal be different from the temperature of water?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links