April 27, 2024, 04:47:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: David--PHP not installing on Apache: php5apache2.dll not uploaded  (Read 13541 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
So, I have a new server running on Apache at work and I thought how great it would be to install php on it so I can add a few goodies on the server. Well, that is becoming seriously problematic, anyways apparently this is a recent documented bug and there is a roundabout fix available. The fix is documented here http://www.apachelounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570

But, what I don't understand is where it says

THIS MUST BE ACCOMPLISHED (see note below): Add the folder that you put the PHP files into in the PATH ENVIRONMENT (System Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables | System variables | Path).

Example:

Variable name: Path
      Variable value: C:\php5;%SystemRoot%\system32;.

What is the path environment? How does one change that???
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: David--PHP not installing on Apache: php5apache2.dll not uploaded
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 05:55:24 PM »
My computer, control panel, system properties and so on, as described.

Eons ago you had to set system variables in autoexec.bat using SET command and

Code: [Select]
SET PATH=C:\DOS;C:\BORLAND\BIN;

and so on was a must. DOS looked for programs in the directories listed in PATH variable, Windows do the same.

These days even some admins have no idea about this stuff ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:55:21 PM »
Thanks, unfortunately it still doesn't work. Doh.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:04:43 PM »
Actually. the procedure for Windows XP is different.

Control Panel -> System -> "Advanced" Tab -> Click "Environmental Variables"

This will open the "Environmental Variables" window, where you scroll System Variables to find "Path". Select "Path" and click "Edit" to make changes to it.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline david

• Chem Crony
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +10/-2
  • Chemophobic
    • qersys
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »
(what Geodome said) then add c:\php5\  (or wherever you put php) to the end of the line and save it. Restart system before testing!

I use Apache 1.x  I gave up trying to get Apache2 and php to play nice together. It was just too much work and Apache 1 works just fine for me.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 11:18:58 PM »
If you remember this set of posts...I was having the exact same problem, when I installed all my stuff (I did it right over Windows XP). 

I totally agree with everything that's been said on this thread, esp. what David said about the two playing nice together, and ESP about restarting the system...I was still having problems, but after a reboot, everything was great!

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 03:23:28 AM »
Actually. the procedure for Windows XP is different.

W2K here. But I don't see any difference between both procedures, apart from the fact that I was translating from the Polish version, so not a "System properties" but "System" in the control panel. Looks like it was the restart that did the trick. But...

I wonder why do they need restart for. Are these variables set ONLY on system start? That's riduculous. Perhaps it will be enough to restart some services that have earlier acquired PATH info from the system variables. That's ridiculous too.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 06:14:00 AM »
W2K here. But I don't see any difference between both procedures, apart from the fact that I was translating from the Polish version, so not a "System properties" but "System" in the control panel. Looks like it was the restart that did the trick. But...

I don't think Windows XP actually load autoexec.bat at start-up. Even config.sys is a blank file. These are legacy files from Windows98.

I wonder why do they need restart for. Are these variables set ONLY on system start? That's riduculous. Perhaps it will be enough to restart some services that have earlier acquired PATH info from the system variables. That's ridiculous too.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to restart the computer, compared to restarting individual component services? If you look at "Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services", you will realise you have many components to restart. There are some services which you cannot close, which will result in the shutdown of the computer.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 06:57:58 AM »

I don't think Windows XP actually load autoexec.bat at start-up. Even config.sys is a blank file. These are legacy files from Windows98.

Never said you have to use autoexec.bat these days.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to restart the computer, compared to restarting individual component services? If you look at "Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services", you will realise you have many components to restart. There are some services which you cannot close, which will result in the shutdown of the computer.

I don't think so. Why do I have to restart whole system when all I need is to reconfigure some small part of it? For me that's faulty desing.

I am not sure and Junior is not here so I can't ask him, but AFAIR under *nix systems you can restart any (or almost any) service individually. I am more then sure that I can reconfigure ethernet on our Linux server without restarting the system and without loosing WiFi connection - so the server will be all the time connected to the outside world, just for a moment it will be cut off the local network. If it can be done there, it can be done under other OSes as well.

Sure, there are some dependencies which can make it sometimes impossible, but Apache is a rellatively high level service, like FTP or gopher. I don't see any reason why do I have to shut them all down (restarting OS) to reconfigure only one of them. Could you imagine restarting chemicalforums web server each time you need to tweak the parameters?

Hah, IIRC you have bought a Macbook or something? Which system does it have? One of these based on BSD? Check out how many things can be reconfigured without restarting OS.

Offline david

• Chem Crony
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +10/-2
  • Chemophobic
    • qersys
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:45:44 PM »
any good news?

Sponsored Links