April 19, 2024, 02:08:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with copper oxide I synthesis  (Read 1024 times)

Offline luscofusco

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with copper oxide I synthesis
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
Hi, this is my first post here and don't know much about formatting. Also english ins't my first language so I may write something wrong. I'm desperate for help.

I'm doing a lab practice where I have to synthesize copper oxide (I) and copper oxide (II). My initial reagent is 5g of copper acetate and I add hydrazine. I can't find out the reaction there. I tried the following:

Cu(CH3 COO)2 + N2H4 :rarrow: (Cu(CN)4)-3

And then I guess the Cu (I) reacts with oxygen to get Cu2O

Is this correct? Can someone explain what is going on?

The second part I use the Cu2O and add hot concentrated sulfuric acid but that part I find it easier. The Cu(I) disproportionates and Cu with the hot concentrated acid forms CuSO4 so we have Cu2+. After we add OH- will form the hydroxide and dehydrating we get the CuO

Thank you

EDIT: forgot to add in the first part, why is it green? Copper acetate is bluish-green but in the script I have it says that it turns green and a gas is released, is it the [Cu(H2O)6]2+? And for the gas maybe H2?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:09:35 AM by luscofusco »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Help with copper oxide I synthesis
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:54:58 AM »
There is certainly a manual for each laboratory exercise. There should be additional information in this manual, such as a recommended publication, handbook, etc. And you usually have to write the balanced reaction equations yourself. Rather, this is the easiest part of the exercise.
From your information, it appears that you have not read either the instructions for the exercise or the Forum Rules.
https://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0
CuO is obtained without hydrazine reduction, but the obtained compound must be calcined at a temperature of 200-450 C.
AWK

Sponsored Links