March 28, 2024, 04:31:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Zinc Titration with EDTA  (Read 2268 times)

Offline DeaZ96

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Zinc Titration with EDTA
« on: September 10, 2022, 05:36:48 AM »
Hi,
I am trying to make zn titration of one solution which I know zn percentage. Sometimes I get the end point but the ml of Edta are less according to the  result I should get.
I am using so old xylenol orange. Can this be the problem?
If you have any suggestions please help me,to change something in the way I am doing it.

Titrant is EDTA. Indicator is Xylenol Orange.

Please help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Zinc Titration with EDTA
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 05:43:21 AM »
What is the procedure you follow? Anything else in the solution?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DeaZ96

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 06:01:58 AM »
What is the procedure you follow? Anything else in the solution?

My procedure is like this:
I use dried material(cu concentrate)in a 400 ml beaker. I add 10 ml HCl then 5 ml HNO3. When reaction finishes I add water in it and wait to dry,then 10 ml h2so4 1/1 for around 50 mins.After it,I add water and some drops of h2o2 and wait for boiling. I filtrate with blue filter.From the filtrated solution I take 100
Ml and  add 1 spoon of nh4cl and boil again. Then precipitate it with nh4 and filtrate with black filter. Afer i leave around one hour in hot plate solution is ready (i let it to be cold)
Before titration: i add hcl 1/1 till color becomes from blue to white
Again nh4 1/1 till solution becomes blue, then I add buffer( ph 5,5) and at the end two drops of xylenol orange.
I hope i was clear…

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 02:33:00 PM »
Some parts are not clear: why the blue color before HCl addition? Things you do with HCl and ammonia (I suppose you mean NH3, not NH4+), followed by buffer addition are a bit strange as well - HCl/ammonia make a buffer with pH around 10, adding another buffer to lower pH back to 5.5 is surprising to say the least.

But first of all: I never saw such a procedure. The only method I ever used to determine Zn was titration with EDTA at pH 10 against eriochrome black T. While indicator choice is often secondary, pH of titration typically depends on the system and stability constants, so it is another surprising thing.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DeaZ96

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 04:30:08 PM »
Some parts are not clear: why the blue color before HCl addition? Things you do with HCl and ammonia (I suppose you mean NH3, not NH4+), followed by buffer addition are a bit strange as well - HCl/ammonia make a buffer with pH around 10, adding another buffer to lower pH back to 5.5 is surprising to say the least.

But first of all: I never saw such a procedure. The only method I ever used to determine Zn was titration with EDTA at pH 10 against eriochrome black T. While indicator choice is often secondary, pH of titration typically depends on the system and stability constants, so it is another surprising thing.

Can I have your procedure please? But I have only xylenol orange,can it be used?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:18:26 AM »
I am afraid I won't find it now. Besides, if I understand correctly your sample contains copper which needs to be masked or removed, my procedure didn't deal with that (could be it called for cyanides to mask traces of other metals, it was around 40 years ago so I don't remember details).

Offline DeaZ96

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 04:32:14 AM »
I am afraid I won't find it now. Besides, if I understand correctly your sample contains copper which needs to be masked or removed, my procedure didn't deal with that (could be it called for cyanides to mask traces of other metals, it was around 40 years ago so I don't remember details).
Yes that’s right,my sample is copper concetrate.
What if I use solution after electrolysis (which has no cu), do you think it can be worthy?
About my indicator which is around 18 years old,can it bring any problem?

Sponsored Links