April 29, 2024, 12:07:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can you help me provide a reason and the root cause why this happened?  (Read 563 times)

Offline hannah_9828

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
The facility treatment team conducted the third operation for the treatment of PCB in transformer oil using the sodium destruction method. The general objective is to lower the concentration to 2 ppm or below. A 3049 L of contaminated oil was subjected for treatment and six (6) samples from 1 R01 tank (reactor) were received in the laboratory for analysis. After 159 L injection of sodium and 12.75 hours of reaction process, the final concentration of PCB is 37.52 ppm. The reaction time was increased per injection per 3 hours but important parameters that must be considered in the low reduction of PCB concentration are the ratio of sodium and chlorine, particle size of the sodium dispersed, and temperature in the reaction chamber.

Can you help me provide a hypothesis on the root cause of why this happened?

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Can you help me provide a reason and the root cause why this happened?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 06:42:55 AM »
@hannah_9828

We only post a given question  once on this forum.
See forum rules. (see link at the top of most every page on the forum)
I deleted your other post

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 09:54:23 AM »
What are your thoughts?

Offline hannah_9828

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 10:27:50 AM »
What are your thoughts?

A possible hypothesis for the root cause of the wrong final concentration of PCB is that the sodium injection was insufficient or ineffective to destroy the PCB molecules in the transformer oil, but assuming that they calculated it right and the concentration of the PCB should already be lowered after injecting the sodium chloride, maybe it is somethng to do with the ratio of sodium and chlorine?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 02:35:36 PM »
"and the concentration of the PCB should already be lowered after injecting the sodium chloride"

If I am reading the protocol correctly, one is injecting sodium metal and producing sodium chloride.

Sponsored Links