April 20, 2024, 03:35:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting


Topic: Unknown liquid.  (Read 878 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Duncan R

  • Very New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Unknown liquid.
« on: February 23, 2024, 09:49:32 AM »
Not sure where to post this question so I put it here.  I have been clearing a garage of a deceased gentleman. I understand he used to be some sort of chemist in indusry.  There are a few chemicals in bottles some of which I have heard of and others not. There is Sodium Iodide, Mercuric Chloride, Hydrogen Peroxide, Iodine, Bromine [ I think ] and  a small bottle of Dmethyl Mercury or somesuch name [ although the label id fairly hard to read ].  I did a bit of searching on the net and it would appear that if I am correct in my attempts to read the label it is a quite nasty chemical.  It is a 50ml bottle that appears approx three quarters full. What would be the best course of action in disposing of the aforementioned chemicals. [ not to keen on flushing them down the drain ]
Thanks.

Offline Corribus

  • Chemist
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3481
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • Gender: Male
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Unknown liquid.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 12:39:49 PM »
Call your local waste disposal company and they should be able to direct you to the right solution. If those are truly what they say they are, please do not handle them. Some of those are extremely toxic and should only be disposed of by a hazardous materials professional.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Duncan R

  • Very New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Unknown liquid.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 01:28:02 AM »
Many thanks, I will follow you advice.

Sponsored Links