June 15, 2024, 08:36:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Of Rubbermaid coolers, hot liquids and Bisphenol-A  (Read 5597 times)

Offline agoodquestion

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Of Rubbermaid coolers, hot liquids and Bisphenol-A
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »
I've been told you use a Rubbermaid cooler to house hot water used while brewing.  A hot liquid (grain and water basically) would sit in this for an hour or two.  Is this the type of plastic that gives off Bisphenol-A into liquid when it comes into contact with a hot liquid?  I don't want any of this to get into my "mash tun", but this is the cheap way to brew like this at home. 

I have no idea of what these coolers are made of and my knowledge of chemistry is about 1/10000th of what most people here have.  If anyone can help I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

Offline Mr Peanut

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
Re: Of Rubbermaid coolers, hot liquids and Bisphenol-A
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
Hi,

Bisphenol A is most often found in plastics like epoxies and polycarbonate. But that doesn't mean another material wouldn't release something else into the family brew. I would try a High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) container.  Look at food coolers at the McMaster Website http://www.mcmaster.com They have some polyethylene ones there (cat page 1634). No guarantees, I have extracted contaminants from polyethylene. If you can pick-up an odor in the container after it has been closed with hot water in it for a while then you are going to contaminate your mix. You may be able to pre-condition your cooler with successive baths in very hot water.

Oh, and don't forget my Scooby snack.

Sponsored Links