April 29, 2024, 05:46:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Identifying Unknwon Substance  (Read 2884 times)

Offline fengshui

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Identifying Unknwon Substance
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »
Hello, I am new to the forums. Tomorrow, we'll be having an activity to identify an unknown substance in class. So far, we've only been told it is a white powdery substance. Judging from that, the substance will most likely be a compound (since its a big activity) or maybe a metal element, and it won't be any dangerous substance which are not premitted at school. However, we will only be given only a few main resources, as far as I know of: periodic table, metal activity series, solubility table. There will probably be a few known substances given as well to conduct chemical experiments, and also the necessary equipments. But, I am not sure how to identify the substance exactly with only a periodic table, metal activity series, and solubility table. Are there any way or tips you can give to help me?

Many thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Identifying Unknwon Substance
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
The solubility table would probably be the most useful.  You'll react your solid with different reagents, see what changes, and narrow down your list.  Likewise with the metal activity list, you'll try to react your solid with reactive metals, to narrow down your choices.  The periodic table could come in handy, if you get a pure element, and the talbe has the densities printed -- but that would be too easy.

Seems a little cruel to me, to just drop you in the middle of things like this for a class.  I'm suspecting it's not going to be as tough as they told you.

You'd do better if they gave you the flowchart that is in the attachments to this thread here: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=21759.0;topicseen

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links