June 17, 2024, 12:42:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Halogens  (Read 7155 times)

Offline garyadamson

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Halogens
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
Going down group 7 the amount of energy levels increases, this thus means that there is more electrons, however they are obviously further away from the nucleus. Does this mean that the more electrons a Hallogen has the higher the reactivity or the lower the amount of electrons a halogen has the higher reactivity.

I'm slightly confused because i'm not sure how many electrons fill the energy levels of halogens.

Sorry for my poor explanation. I'm new too all of this

thanks in advance
gary

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Halogens
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
What do halogens try to accomplish during a chemical reaction?  Do they seek to gain electrons or lose electrons?  If they seek to gain electrons, does adding an electron to an orbital closer to the nucleus or farther from the nucleus give a larger gain in energy?  If they seek to lose electrons, is it easier to lose an electron in an orbital closer to the nucleus or farther from the nucleus?

Offline shaziaahsan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
What do halogens try to accomplish during a chemical reaction?  Do they seek to gain electrons or lose electrons?  If they seek to gain electrons, does adding an electron to an orbital closer to the nucleus or farther from the nucleus give a larger gain in energy?  If they seek to lose electrons, is it easier to lose an electron in an orbital closer to the nucleus or farther from the nucleus?
they normally try to lose electron.it is easier for them to lose electron from those orbits which are farther away from nucleus.more away the shell from the nucleus make easier to lose electron because the attaraction between positive charge in nucleus and negative charge on electron weakens as the shells moves aways from k nucleus.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
Halogens normally tend to gain electrons.  For example, chlorine has 7 valence electrons and would like to have a noble gas configuration.   It can achieve this by either losing 7 electrons or gaining one.  Obviously it will be easier for chlorine achieve a noble gas configuration by gaining a single electron to become Cl-.

Sponsored Links