June 07, 2024, 01:25:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sulfuric Acid/Carbon and Sodium Sulfide Questions  (Read 8548 times)

Offline Nukewarm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sulfuric Acid/Carbon and Sodium Sulfide Questions
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »
I'm trying to learn about chemistry on my own time, and am a huge novice at the moment.

Right now I'm interested in making acids. I've written out a kind of step by step guide on how I would do it, but I'm sure it's severely flawed.

I've made this thread mainly because I'm confused about steps 7(How do you combine carbon with sulfuric acid? Burn it somehow?) and 9(What other byproducts beside hydrogen sulfide do you get?) below.

Aside from those two problems, if anyone would like to point out any mistakes or false assumptions I've made I would be very appreciative.

1. H2SO4 + NaCL = NaHSO4 + HCL   (Combine Sulfuric Acid and Salt to make Sodium Bisulfate and <<Hydrogen Chloride>>)   
2. 2NaHSO4 = Na2SO7 + H2O        (Heat 2 Sodium Bisulfates compounds @315°C to make Na2SO7 and <<Water>>)
3. NA2SO7 = NA2SO4 + SO3         (Heat Na2SO7 @460°C to get <<Sodium Sulfate>> and <<Sodium Trioxide>>)

4. HCL + H2O = H3O + CL          (Combine Hydrogen Chloride with Water to make <<Hydrochloric Acid>>)

5. SO3 + H2SO4 = H2S2O7          (Combine Sodium Trioxide and Sulfuric Acid to get Oleum)
6. H2S2O7 + H2O = 2H2SO4         (Combine Oleum and Water to get Sulfuric Acid)

7. Na2SO4 + 2 C = Na2S + 2 CO2   (Burn Sulfuric Acid with Carbon to make Sodium Sulfide and Carbon Dioxide)
8. CO2 = CO + O                  (Bombard Carbon Dioxide with UV light under 169nm wavelength to get Carbon Monoxide and Oxygen)
9. Na2S  + H3O + CL = H2S + ?    (Combine Hydrogen Chloride with Sodium Sulfide to make Hydrogen Sulfide and ?)
10. H2S + O2 = SO2 + H2          (Burn Hydrogen Sulfide to get <<Sulfer Dioxide>> and <<Hydrogen>>)     

11. SO2 + O = SO3                (Add oxygen to Sulfur dioxide to get sulfer trioxide)
12. SO3 + H2SO4 = H2S2O7         (Add sulfur trioxide to sulfuric acid to get oleum)
13. H2S2O7 + H2O = 2H2SO4        (Combine oleum with water to get sulfuric acid)

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Sulfuric Acid/Carbon and Sodium Sulfide Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
Dissolving salt in H2SO4 will just give you salty H2SO4.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »
Dissolving salt in H2SO4 will just give you salty H2SO4.

Not exactly, all depends on the concentration - add concentrated sulfuric to solid NaCl and you get gaseous HCl.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »
I don't have too much time ATM, so only few remarks, hopefully orthers will ad something as well.

4. HCL + H2O = H3O + CL          (Combine Hydrogen Chloride with Water to make <<Hydrochloric Acid>>)

Add charges!

5. SO3 + H2SO4 = H2S2O7          (Combine Sodium Trioxide and Sulfuric Acid to get Oleum)

Oleum doesn't have exact forumla, it is a mixture of SO3 dissolved in concentrated sulfuric acid.

7. Na2SO4 + 2 C = Na2S + 2 CO2   (Burn Sulfuric Acid with Carbon to make Sodium Sulfide and Carbon Dioxide)

This is roasting, you start with two solids and you roast them without air acces. No idea why and what for.

8. CO2 = CO + O                  (Bombard Carbon Dioxide with UV light under 169nm wavelength to get Carbon Monoxide and Oxygen)

What do you want, CO? Burn excess carbon in not enough oxygen, much easier.

9. Na2S  + H3O + CL = H2S + ?    (Combine Hydrogen Chloride with Sodium Sulfide to make Hydrogen Sulfide and ?)

And NaCl. Once again - no idea why nor wht for.

10. H2S + O2 = SO2 + H2          (Burn Hydrogen Sulfide to get <<Sulfer Dioxide>> and <<Hydrogen>>)

You may as well burn sulfur.     

11. SO2 + O = SO3                (Add oxygen to Sulfur dioxide to get sulfer trioxide)

That's tricky and it won't go that easy, you will need a catalyzator for that.

12. SO3 + H2SO4 = H2S2O7         (Add sulfur trioxide to sulfuric acid to get oleum)
13. H2S2O7 + H2O = 2H2SO4        (Combine oleum with water to get sulfuric acid)

I believe that's the way it is done in chemical plants, but in general it is enough to dissolve SO3 in H2O.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nukewarm

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »
Wow, a lot of information there. Thanks!

Sorry for confusing H2SO4 with Na2SO4 those few times. Sodium Sulfate, not Sulfuric Acid.

"And NaCl. Once again - no idea why nor what for."
-I wanted to combine H2S with O2 to make SO2

"What do you want, CO? Burn excess carbon in not enough oxygen, much easier."
-I wanted the O so I could make SO2 into SO3

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
And NaCl. Once again - no idea why nor what for.
-I wanted to combine H2S with O2 to make SO2

Can make sense if you have no access to just sulfur. Although converting sulfate to sulfide to get sulfur oxide to make sulfuric acid seems a little bit like going in circles :)

What do you want, CO? Burn excess carbon in not enough oxygen, much easier."
-I wanted the O so I could make SO2 into SO3

Plenty of O (or rather O2) around, no need for that. And you will not get atomic O that easy, it combines immediatey to O2.

Offline Nukewarm

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
I don't like the idea of needing a catalyst (Especially one that, I hear, is expensive). What about this instead:

8. Na2S  + H3O + CL = H2S + NaCL (Combine Hydrogen Chloride with Sodium Sulfide to make Hydrogen Sulfide and Salt)
9. H2S + O2 = SO2 + H2
10. 2H2S + SO2 = 3S + 2H2O 
11. S + H2O + O3  = H2SO4

If converting sulfate to sulfide to sulfuric acid is inefficient, is there an easier way to do it?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »
Buy it?

Sponsored Links