June 15, 2024, 04:18:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Emperical Formula help  (Read 5287 times)

Offline bdawg8527

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Emperical Formula help
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:08:10 PM »
dide most of my hw, i had a few problems i dont know how to do. Can someone help me?
1) a 2.65 sample of salmon-colored powder contains .7g of chromium , .65 g of sulfur, and 1.3 g of oxygen. The molar mass is 392.2 what is the formula of the compound?

2) A compount contains 12.8% C,2.1% H, and 85.1% Br. What is the molecular formula of this compound given that the molar mass is 188 g/mol.

3) a compound contains 10.13% C and 89.87% Cl. Determine the molecular formula given that the molar mass is 237 g/mol

4)A 7.33 g sample of lanthanum, La, combines with oxygen to give 10.29 g of lanthanum oxide. Calculate the emperical formula of this oxide.

Thx for anyone that answers these, i really appreciate it!

* 11 minutes ago
    * - 4 days left to answer.

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Emperical Formula help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »
You have to show some work as it is against the forum rule to do your homework.

Check this out on empirical formula: http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&q=calculating+empirical+formula&btnG=Search&meta=/

Once you know empirical formula, molecular formula is easy.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Emperical Formula help
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:49:22 PM »
There is a past thread on a similar problem. Use it as a guide to work out the answer for your problem. Show us your attempts and we will guide you along the way.

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=30695
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links