May 29, 2024, 03:42:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Capsaicin Extraction?  (Read 11082 times)

Offline slogger

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Capsaicin Extraction?
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
Hmm, this is for a school project. So I've read that capsaicin dissolves in some organic solvents such as ethanol and ethers. I would, hopefully, like to be able to determine how much capsaicin is present in various kinds of chilli peppers.

I've read about a method to extract the capsaicin:
1) Finely chop/grind the peppers
2) Add solvent, allow capsaicin to dissolve in it.
3) Filter, evaporate filtrate.

What this results in, according to the person who came up with it, is a ruby red oil. However, I am pretty sure that this is not pure capsaicin per se, but a pre-product of capsaicin containing other similar compounds as well, because, as Wikipedia states, "Pure capsaicin is a hydrophobic, colorless, odorless, crystalline to waxy compound."

Is there any way to further refine and extract the pure capsaicin from this red oil, or is there another entirely different method I could use to extract pure capsaicin?

Thanks a bunch!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Capsaicin Extraction?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »
I see this ending with you in a lot of pain  :P

Offline Johnny010

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
Fractional distillation...but good luck with that one. Column Chromatography.

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
You can determine the concentration of capsacin (and for that matter the closely related dihydrocapsacin) in chilipeppers using HPLC together with UV/Vis spectroscopy. These concentrations are easily measured due to the strong absorbance of the aromatic groups in the compounds. Since this is a school project you hopefully have access to these instruments. Here is an article on it if you want to read more about it:

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/Journal/Issues/2000/Dec/abs1630.html

Offline jmirabil

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »
Hmm, this is for a school project. So I've read that capsaicin dissolves in some organic solvents such as ethanol and ethers. I would, hopefully, like to be able to determine how much capsaicin is present in various kinds of chilli peppers.

I've read about a method to extract the capsaicin:
1) Finely chop/grind the peppers
2) Add solvent, allow capsaicin to dissolve in it.
3) Filter, evaporate filtrate.

What this results in, according to the person who came up with it, is a ruby red oil. However, I am pretty sure that this is not pure capsaicin per se, but a pre-product of capsaicin containing other similar compounds as well, because, as Wikipedia states, "Pure capsaicin is a hydrophobic, colorless, odorless, crystalline to waxy compound."

Is there any way to further refine and extract the pure capsaicin from this red oil, or is there another entirely different method I could use to extract pure capsaicin?

Thanks a bunch!

Where did you read about this extraction of a ruby red liquid--what is the specific procedure.  Email me, as I want to read that article as well as I've heard that liquid has some medicinal qualities I might use for my health, if the heat of the solution is bearable or can be diluted.  I'm serious, please email me... THANKS!  take care.. -Jonathan

Sponsored Links