June 15, 2024, 06:04:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electron configurations  (Read 3464 times)

Offline miss.strw

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
electron configurations
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
The computer writes electron configurations in the form, for Fe for example, [Ar]4s(2)3d(6)

which we would write [Ar]4s23d6

Give the electron configuration for the element with the below symbol

As

using the above computer format.

Account for all the electrons in the element. Do not leave out filled inner subshells.

Do not include any empty subshells

For subshells outside of the core [], order subshells by increasing energy: lowest to highest. Note in the example of Fe 4s comes before 3d

I understand electron configuration but I do not understand how to do the computer ones. Please help me! Thank you!

Offline cyborgarm

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Re: electron configurations
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »
Basically, these "computer formats" just take the closest noble gas with a lower atomic number than the atom in question and just start writing out the subshells from that point.
In this case, (As) it would be [Ar]4s2 3d10 4p3
The order of the subshells is just in the same order as the periodic table.... K and Ca are 4s, Sc-Zn are 3d, and Ga-Kr are 4p

Offline miss.strw

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »
Basically, these "computer formats" just take the closest noble gas with a lower atomic number than the atom in question and just start writing out the subshells from that point.
In this case, (As) it would be [Ar]4s2 3d10 4p3
The order of the subshells is just in the same order as the periodic table.... K and Ca are 4s, Sc-Zn are 3d, and Ga-Kr are 4p

Thank you so much for explaining!!! *snack given* ty!!! ty!!! i dont noe wat else to thank u!!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:43:33 AM »
Configuration is exactly the same, just put brackets around number of electrons. Note that [Ar]4s23d6 we would write as [Ar]4s23d6 - to distingusih between digits describing shells and electrons. When configuration is written as [Ar]4s23d6 it is not entirely clear what to do with 23 - well, in this case it is, but for higher shells and higher numbers of electrons there can be three digits and generally speaking there are possible situations when this notation could be ambiguous. Brackets make it unambiguous again.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links