June 05, 2024, 10:19:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Techne PHC-2 Thermal Cycler  (Read 4066 times)

Offline nxcng

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Techne PHC-2 Thermal Cycler
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
Hello,

I am interested to know if a "Techne PHC-2 Thermal Cycler" is designed only to amplify PHC-2, or if it can be used for a variety of different gene groups?

This is a simply question, and the obvious answer appears to be that it is only for PHC-2 given the name. However, i thought i would ask here as i have never operated any type of PCR machine.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Techne PHC-2 Thermal Cycler
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
I think PHC-2 refers to the model number of the thermocycler and not anything about its function.  Any programmable thermocycler should be able to do almost any PCR reaction.

Offline nxcng

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Techne PHC-2 Thermal Cycler
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
Well thank you for this quick response. With your input i think i might just purchase the device at auction for 30 dollars. The main use i have in mind is to use this device to amplify sequences for use in the self assembly of nanostructures. What do you think about this?

I have a bit of a background in fabricating nano-structures as i am pursuing nanofabrication degree at college. I have also construed a "Clean room" which is essentially a sealed dust free room with industrial ventilation out and filtered air in.

I am in the process of accumulating the necessary equipment and as a start this device may work well. The only problems i see arising is lack of access to operating manuals or procedures as well as faulty device.

Thanks again for your response.

Sponsored Links