June 11, 2024, 05:06:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hypochlorite chemistry  (Read 5498 times)

Hcurious

Hypochlorite chemistry
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:27:11 PM »
It's been a while since I had general chemistry. Can someone explain to me the nature of a bond between oxygen and chlorine, both are negatively valent? The standard ionic and covalent bonds I think I understand, but recently I hear of substances like chlorine dioxide. How can that be?

Hcurious

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Hypochlorite chemistry
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »
Cl and O bonds together via covalent bonding.

although both element are electronegative, one element is more electronegative than the other, therefore one of them is relatively positive and the other relatively negative.

which element is the relative positive one? which element is the relative negative one?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Hcurious

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »
Thanks for your answer. Ok, chlorine is less negative than oxygen,i.e., relatively positive. But chlorine dioxide? I think it is sold as a mouthwash.  How would one manufacture that and keep it stable? Is it a scam?

Hcurious

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 06:28:56 AM »
mouthwash? i think it is more of a disinfectant for drinking water... pure ClO2 is explosive or so i heard
one learns best by teaching

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 11:17:04 PM »
Hello Hcurious,

Chlorine dioxide is commonly used, but is created at the point of consumption.  It is a powerful oxidizer that is used to bleach paper and clean industrial water, example: swimming pools. I have used it alot.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 03:57:47 PM »
Thanks for your answer. Ok, chlorine is less negative than oxygen,i.e., relatively positive. But chlorine dioxide? I think it is sold as a mouthwash.  How would one manufacture that and keep it stable? Is it a scam?

Hcurious

ClO2 is not used as mouthwash, as others already pointed out. In this compound, Cl has the oxidation state +4 and oxygen has the oxidation state -2. But remember, the concept of oxidation state is just an administrative one. In reality, the bonds are covalent with some positive charge-bias towards the chlorine and some negative-charge bias towards the oxygen, but the chlorine certainly has no charge +4, it is much less.

Oxidation state and real charge only are the same for purely ionic compounds, consisting of simple ions, such as NaCl, Na2O, CaF2.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Sponsored Links