June 04, 2024, 06:51:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acids/Bases concentration and pH help  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Blah DTMM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acids/Bases concentration and pH help
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm having trouble with some questions regarding hydronium-ion concentration and pH. The question reads as follows:

1.) Each of the following solutions has a concentration of 0.1 mol/L. Compare the hydronium-ion concentration and pH in each pair, and explain why they are different.

a.) H2SO4(aq) vs H2SO3(aq)

I don't know how to find the hydronium-ion concentration in this question. I know that pH=-log[H3O+(aq)], so I could find the pH if somebody is able to show me how to find the hydronium-ion concentration and explain why they differ between the two solutions.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acids/Bases concentration and pH help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
One is a strong acid, other is a weak acid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Blah DTMM

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »
Yes but how do I find the hydronium-ion concentration and pH? I know the pH of the strong acid will be lower but how do I find an exact value? Or am I just supposed to give an approximation in this situation?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
I would go for an approximation. But if you want to try to calculate... just don't hope it will be easy.

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-polyprotic-acid-base

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-polyprotic-simplified
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
My guess is that this is a qualitative question designed to see if you understand why one would be a strong acid while the other one is weak based on their structures.

Offline Blah DTMM

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
Ahh okay that makes sense. I guess I am just confused about determining strong vs. weak acids and bases. I understand the theory about strong acids reacting completely and weak acids reacting partially, but how do I tell from just looking at the formulas whether a solution is a strong or a weak acid? Like with H2SO4 and H2SO3, I know from looking it up that the former is a strong acid while the latter is a weak acid, but how would I tell just from looking at the formula?

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
The extra oxygen will act to stabilize the conjugate base by withdrawing electron density. Your textbook should have a more detailed explanation.

Offline Blah DTMM

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
Nahh, I've read through the section several times and it isn't helping me understand. The next question has:

H2S(aq) vs. NH3(aq)

So when H2S is added to water it looks like this:
H2S(aq) + H2O(l)  :rarrow: H3O+(aq) + HS-(aq)
Correct? Now I know from looking it up that hydrogen sulfide is a weak acid. When you look at the above equation, what is it that tells you it is a weak acid and not a strong acid?

And with NH3(aq):
NH3(aq) + H2O(l)  :rarrow: OH-(aq) + NH4+(aq)
Again, how do I know from writing out the equation that ammonia is a weak base?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:34:34 AM »
From these equations you know that H2S is  an acid and NH3 is a base. And that are weak ones you can recognize from pKa. Of course there are some rules that help you to memorize which are strong, which are weak, but these are only rules and sometimes may give you wrong suggestions.
AWK

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »
Any chemist can tell you that NH3 is a weak base and H2S is a weak acid. For one, you should memorize the common strong acids (your book should present this to you). Second, hydrogen sulfide's acidity can be deduced from the fact that it must be a stronger acid than water because sulfur is below oxygen (again, something that they should discuss in the textbook). As you become more knowledgeable about chemistry, you will gain an intuition about things like this.

Offline Blah DTMM

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
Okay, this has cleared things up a good bit for me. Thanks for the help everyone.

Sponsored Links