May 23, 2024, 05:54:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analysis of Cerium Oxide and Strontium Titanate  (Read 3848 times)

Offline transcendent

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Analysis of Cerium Oxide and Strontium Titanate
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
Hello folks,

Chemistry is not my major field of study, but it happens that I am performing some experiments using SrTiO3 and CeO2 powders.

Based on my current searching, it appears that neither of these powders are readily soluble. I read that CeO2 is slightly soluble in strong acid, but I don't know about SrTiO3.

The reason I am asking about their solubility is because I need to have analytical chemistry performed on samples to look for the quantity of these powders. My understanding is that most techniques to detect the quantity of these powders will require them to be dissolved.

Firstly, is there a way to dissolve them? Second, might there be another technique to determine the quantity of these powders?

Lastly, can anyone suggest some very fine (microns diameter) commercially available powders that are water soluble? The only restrictions are that they have to be very fine, and water soluble.

If anyone needs further clarification I can provide more details.

Thanks!

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Analysis of Cerium Oxide and Strontium Titanate
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
What do you want to measure about them?

Concentration or if you actually have them?

Offline transcendent

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
Concentration would be ideal yes. If there is some other method that would report a mass, this would work too.

I am more interested in knowing how much is there, as opposed to just yes or no that it has been detected.

CeO2 and SrTiO3 are the most important two compounds for me to measure, but I would like to investigate other compounds as well.

That's why I asked about other metallic compounds that are micron sized and water-soluble. My assumption is that water-soluble compounds will be the easiest to analyze. In the past I have had some samples analyzed by ICP-AES, but the requirement was that they be water-soluble. CeO2 and SrTiO3 do not seem to be so easily analyzed though.

Thanks again.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
Are there any other possible sources of Sr or Ce in your mixture?

Sponsored Links