May 23, 2024, 04:34:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can I prepare deuterated benzylamine over 98% conversion?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline adhikary

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
  • Philosophy is dead, Science is the only solution.
Usually I prepare deuterated benzylamine [(D2NCH2C6H4X) X = different substituents, such as 4-MeO, H, 4-Cl etc.)]with the mixture of specified substituted benzylamine and deuterium oxide (1:3 volume) at room temperature with constant stirring for several days (2 to 5 days). Then extract the deuterated benzylamine with diethylether. The ether solution is dried with anhydrous magnesium sulfate for an hour, then filter it (MgSO4) out and the solution is dried under reduced pressure. But most of the time the conversion rate is over 82% but bellow 90%. I need over 98%. If there any idea available to improve the process please let me know. It will be helpfull for me a lot.
Keshab K. Adhikary
Center for Environment and Energy Research
Ghent University Global Campus
Yeonsu-Gu, Incheon; S. Korea

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: How can I prepare deuterated benzylamine over 98% conversion?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »
Sounds like a 3:1 D2O ratio does not give a sufficient H/D ratio then. You probably just need to use more D2O. I would suggest taking your ~80% D amine and dissolving that in D2O and repeat the procedure as before. You might need to do a few cycles to reach >98% D.

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure D2O is >98% D?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline adhikary

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:52:39 AM »
Dear Dan,

I tried for 3/4 cycles and the D2O, what I used, was 99.9 atom % and produced by Aldrich, USA. I just interested about the process better than this and less time consuming. If available please inform me. Thank you for your commet.
Keshab K. Adhikary

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
Is it very humid where you are? D2O is very hygroscopic and will sequester normal H2O from the atmosphere. If your bottle is old, it may very well no longer be 99.9 atom %.

However, a drop or two (substoichiometric amount) of deuterium chloride may speed things up.

If that that and repeated cycles of deuteration don't do it, you need to consider that any time your amine touches anything that may have traces of water or acid on/in it, you're losing some deuterium. Rigorously dry everything, and think about ways to streamline your process.
Individual results may vary

Offline adhikary

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
Dear Honclbrif,

Thank you for your valuable comments. The D2O is new and recenlt purchased. I think your following comment may be effective and I shall try.

However, a drop or two (substoichiometric amount) of deuterium chloride may speed things up.

Thanks again for your comments.

Keshab K. Adhikary

Sponsored Links