June 07, 2024, 11:01:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodoform equation question  (Read 6235 times)

Offline quadsofdgods

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Iodoform equation question
« on: September 08, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
Hi guys, this is my first post, i usually just browse and use the search but this time i couldnt find my answer so i thought i`d post. (fyi i`m from the tiny island of Malta)

now onto my question re; iodoform reaction, i`m having much difficulty balancing the equation both when you use alcohols as well as when you use methyl ketones.

CH3CH(OH)CH3 + I2 +NaOH -----> CHI3 + CH3C(=O)ONa

CH3C(=O)CH3 +I2 +NaOH -----> ?

Fyi according to my notes all you require is to warm, add in I2 and a base or use KI and NAClO.

I`m not so good at chemistry so bear with me....

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Iodoform equation question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
Start with the equation involving the ketone as it is easier, then move on to the alcohol.

You have not identified all of the products of the iodoform reaction - there are two more:

CH3COCH3 + I2 + NaOH :rarrow: CH3COONa + CHI3 + ? + ?

In order to work it out, you will need to have a look at the reaction mechanism, see:

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/haloform-reaction.shtm
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline quadsofdgods

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »
considering i dont have it in my notes, and that i read on another forum that you dont have to balance some organic equations, of which incls an iodoform equation (unless your going to study further, i`m undergraduate), would it be possible that i really dont have to ensure stoichiometry (wanted to sound a bit smart)?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:44:52 AM »
Well, you might not have to balance it. It depends on what you want to do with the equation. Since you asked, I was trying to steer you in the right direction. At the moment you do not have a complete unbalanced equation, which is why you can't balance it. This suggests to me that you do not understand the mechanism of the reaction. This is a reaction you should understand at undergraduate level, it was certainly in my first year organic exam.

I would advise you to stretch yourself a bit. It's good practice and you will learn something. If you have no desire to explore beyond the limits of your lecture notes then I am afraid to say you will not get far.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links