Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: H202  (Read 5563 times)

Offline richard70

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
H202
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »
 :-\
could you please help, I would like help with the following,

I would like to spray a solution of H2O2 in water, I am hoping that the extra part of oxygen will then attach itself to the chemicals existing in the ground and that should increase the chance of them entering the plants foodchain.

Is this possible?
Is there another way of safely doing this?

Ideally this would be produced as a concentrate and tank mixed with water

Best regards

Rich

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: H202
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
I am hoping that the extra part of oxygen will then attach itself to the chemicals existing in the ground

Abandon the hope then. Chemistry doesn't work this way.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline richard70

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
what will it do then, where will it go. Surely if it breaks from the H part it will be due to attaching elsewhere or does it just fall away?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
I have seen commercial preparations for newly rooted plants that contain hydrogen peroxide, they claim it will provide more oxygen for the newly rooted plants.  I'd suspect the hydrogen peroxide decomposes fairly rapidly, so I can't say how long it would provide roots with oxygen.  I don't really understand what you're trying to describe, but like Borek: said, you're not really talking about chemistry.  If hydrogen peroxide breaks down, it has to break down into compounds that exist.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline richard70

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
thanks for the replies, i have come on to this site because you guys will know the answers but I may have asked the question badly,

1) hydrogen peroxide does help clean up, soil biology and in turn plant health, this produces a growth spurt.

2) it is tank mixed with water and sprayed as required but 2/3 times a year to kick start growth after winter, after maintenance and after diesease.

my original question should have been

Can i mix h2o2 with water without it reacting
Is there another way of applying it

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide that doesn't have any water in it is called rocket fuel - you don't pour it on the ground.

Hydrogen peroxide that is sold in the drugstore is about 3% in water.

My guess is that putting hydrogen peroxide in water isn't going to hurt it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »
What will be concentration of the stock solution? And what is the planned concentration?

Stock solutions of H2O2 usually contain some stabilizing compounds added - these may interfere (or may not interfere) with your application.

Dilution with reasonably pure water should not start fast decomposition, but it will be safer to dilute some small sample first, just to check.

Edit: fledarmus wrote more or less the same while I was typing. One additional note: you can be able to buy 30% stuff.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline richard70

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
thanks very much, will start at 3% and try it out

rich

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
I expect peroxide to kill most life, including your vegetable. It's brutal.
Are you sure peroxide brings some benefit, or is this just one crook more, possibly with such a dilution that no disaster happens, that is no effect at all?

IF you get 30% peroxide somewhere, remember it's seriously dangerous at this concentration. Nothing to put on your skin! On a plant neither. It decomposes quickly upon contact with about anything.

Above some 70% it can detonate, light spontaneously many materials like gloves or clothes...

Sponsored Links