June 07, 2024, 03:34:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Effects of Water on Fermentation Process  (Read 7792 times)

Offline dazza95

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Effects of Water on Fermentation Process
« on: March 13, 2012, 05:38:46 AM »
A recent investigation was carried out where we varied the amount of water in the fermentation process.
What effect does water have on the fermentation process?
And why does this happen?
What will happen if we put very little in, or what would happen if we put heaps in.
We are looking at fermenting honey with different amounts of water and then distilling it into ethanol? what effect will this have?

Some effects we have came up with are:  the colour, taste, turbidity, preservation of ethanol, impact the metal ion and inorganic salt on fermentation process.
Mainly it will effect yield of ethanol, why is this?

Any help is appreciated, thank you :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Effects of Water on Fermentation Process
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »
Yield of ethanol is mostly about survivability of the yeast. Yeast can't survive too high concentrations of sugars (osmotic pressure) and too high concentrations of ethanol (denaturation of proteins). You want them to process as much sugar as possible in as small volume (less processing) as possible. Taste and other parameters are secondary- that is, they can be primary and the system can be optimized to get the best taste, at a cost of lowering ethanol yield.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Effects of Water on Fermentation Process
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »
Topic locked.

dazza95: don't create new threads, with the same basic question as an old thread, but with less information than the old thread.  It just duplicates everyone's work, pointlessly.

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=56306.msg205428#msg205428
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links