June 04, 2024, 03:17:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to calculate time-weighted average of two exposure concentrations?  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Polarlomvi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi!

I have conducted a ecotoxicological experiment in soil. The soil was spiked with a concentration of a pesticide. I analysed the soil concentration at Day 0 and again at the end of the experiment at day 28. One of the reviewers of my paper suggested to use time-weighted averages (TWA) as the pesticide is degraded rather quickly. However, I don't see how this can be done. As far as I know, the TWA is calculated as followes:

TWA = (t1c1 + t2c2 +...+ tntn) / (T1 + t2 +...+ tn)

Where t is the duration of the time interval and c the concentration measured in the respective interval.

I haven't got any intervals, so I really don't know what to do!?

Does anyone have a suggestion? Is there a possibility to take kinetics into account (1. order)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
Re: How to calculate time-weighted average of two exposure concentrations?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
If you know order of the reaction, you can estimate TWA. TWA=integral(C(t)dt)/(t2-t1) (note integral is taken from t1 to t2)

Offline Polarlomvi

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:29 AM »
If you know order of the reaction, you can estimate TWA. TWA=integral(C(t)dt)/(t2-t1) (note integral is taken from t1 to t2)

Thank you for your reply!
I don't know the order but would take 1. order as I don't know anything else about the degradation of my compounds. But how does the formula account for the order of the reaction?

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
dC/dt=k*Cn where you assume n=1

Usually it is done another way around. You measure concentration at time zero and at a few more points of time (including your final test). With this measurements on hands you: a) calculate order of the reaction and discuss possible mechanisme; and b) can numerically calculate TWA (if needed).   

Offline Polarlomvi

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
Thank you, Stepan! Yes, I know that my measurments are not sufficient for real TWA.

Sponsored Links