April 19, 2024, 11:46:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is it possible to build a modest understanding of Chemistry online?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline _AwesomeName

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello. I'm 42 I have a lot of time for hobbies, but not exactly a lot of money to go to school.
I am curious to learn about chemistry. I know it's an important part of our future and I wanted to see if I could help others by using my knowledge in computer programming to assist with making chemistry a more enjoyable and interactive learning experience.
I don't aim to create anything revolutionary, I just want to keep sharp. (fear of old age I guess)

This may be a terribly loaded request, if so I apologize for that.
I've viewed these forums in the past and I see that many come with homework related questions.
I'd snag on to the beginning of the most basic lesson/request but I'm ignorant of the science.

I suppose a link to a novice item here in the forums would be most beneficial, or any free online lessons would help as well.

Most thanks for any contributions

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Re: Is it possible to build a modest understanding of Chemistry online?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Check out MIT open courseware or edx.org or coursera.
Entropy happens.

Offline _AwesomeName

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
Thank you, these are excellent resources.
Anyone else who happens to read this topic and is also on their journey at the roots of chemistry, please notify me of your related questions and topics within these forums.
It will help keep me in check if I learn along side others.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
Hello. I'm 42 I have a lot of time for hobbies, but not exactly a lot of money to go to school.

School is often overrated. A large part of school is motivation, networks and signalling.

If you can keep the motivation up, there's a great chunk you'd understand by reading some good books. All the best!

Offline _AwesomeName

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
Do you think it would be alright if I could post a topic that isn't a question, but rather a discussion thread about my progress?
I have heard many times that teaching helps one learn. This is why I have suggested this idea. I aim to teach what I learn.
I will begin my studies on Thursday January 3rd, and will update every week.

Edit: link deleted. It wasn't necessary, unless you didn't came here to learn chemistry.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:46:34 PM by Borek »

Sponsored Links