June 14, 2024, 05:00:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fajan's Rules and Polarising Power  (Read 2401 times)

Offline lokifenrir96

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Fajan's Rules and Polarising Power
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »
Hi, I read on Wikipedia that a cation with noble gas configuration produces better shielding and less polarising power, hence the bond would have more ionic character and less covalent character (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fajans'_rules). This is related to Fajan's rules, by the way.

Can someone explain to me the reason why a noble gas configuration produces this effect? Wouldn't losing electrons to achieve a noble gas configuration result in fewer electrons to produce a shielding effect and hence increase polarising power? I can't wrap my head around it... Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Fajan's Rules and Polarising Power
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:38 AM »
You have to consider a like-for-like comparison, and bear in mind that some factors are more important than others.

If you compare two cations of similar size and charge, e.g. Mg2+ and Cu2+, Fajan's rules predict that compounds of copper will be more covalent than those of magnesium.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline lokifenrir96

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Fajan's Rules and Polarising Power
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
So you're saying that in general, cations which attain noble gas configuration have a lower core charge than other cations of equivalent size and charge but which do not attain noble gas configuration, and therefore the latters' compounds are more covalent? And that this only applies in such a specific context, so it can't be used to compare, say, two cations with different sizes and charges with one having a noble gas configuration?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links