Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: GC with FID  (Read 2067 times)

Offline dek442

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
GC with FID
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:38 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I really need some technical/mechanical help on a project I'm working on here at Texas A&M.
I decided for my senior project to build a GC with an FID. After deciding this I realized the difficulty in finding a good publication or paper as a reference on how to do this. What I'm asking is if anyone can run down the steps and basic procedures on how to accomplish this task (or point me in the direction of a paper/publication/book/website on the matter). I have access to an electronics lab to add any sort of electrical parts to our detector. In addition, I will have the funds to order a column, injection port, and any and all other supplies I may or may not need, including chemicals. I have taken both an analytical chemistry class and lab, so I know all the background information on the subject of gas chromatography as well as flame-ionized detectors. As for carrier gas, we have access to all of the standard gasses, and the analyte will be various hydrocarbons, which, from my understanding, are the compounds to be used with an FID.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Note: I'm not looking for an undergraduate university lab procedure to build a very simplistic GC. For example, I've run across procedures to build a GC using laundry detergent as a mobile phase and some that don't make their own FID; this is not what I'm wanting. I really need someone with a mechanical/technical background to help me actually construct a GC with a working FID (since I will have access to facilities to accommodate any construction and expense); granted, it will be basic, but not so amateur that I could construct one at home.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:27:05 AM by dek442 »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: GC with FID
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:52:39 AM »
Oh, I always wanted to build a GC, ever since I saw the often pictured one made from hardware store materials.  The reference I have is Scientific American, June 1966, by C.L. Strong. Thing is, that uses a Wheatstone bridge detector, you'll have to look up another reference for a flame ionization detector.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
Re: GC with FID
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:05:18 AM »
You may want to explore possibility to build PID detector instead of FID. You will need to deal with one gas only for PID (for some applications it can be air) instead of 3 gases for FID. performance and sensitivity is the same.

Sponsored Links