May 20, 2024, 02:03:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: About polymer and resonance  (Read 1291 times)

Offline darkdevil

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
About polymer and resonance
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »
Hi,
I have a simple question on this polymer

Do you expect the pi-electrons would flow through the pi-conjugation throughout the amide bonds to another repeating units? and so on? I learned that amide has partial double bond characters, but in this molecule, would the lone pair electrons contribute themselves within the aromatic rings of the indigod molecules to gain extra stability? but not flow through the polymer backbone?

I am also not sure if I made this as short oligomers or polymers? (still waiting for the MALDI result). Here is a TLC of the product on pure ethyl acetate solvent system. Does the tail means something to it as a mixture of polymers/oligomers with different molecular weight?

Offline mamid

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: About polymer and resonance
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
1. I don't think there's conjugation between the indigo core and the terephthaloyl linker. Try and draw some resonance structures and you'll see for yourself.

2. My opinion is that your polymer has Rf = 1 in EtOAc (travels all the way up); however, it also has very low solubility in it and, as a result, you get a continuous streak from the baseline to the front, with most of your sample resting at the application point. Try running TLC with more dilute samples.

Sponsored Links