April 23, 2024, 05:16:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Do you watch the Olympics?  (Read 27574 times)

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Do you watch the Olympics?
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »
Do you watch the Olympic games?
I personally love to watch the Olympics. Especially skiing and ski jump.

What do you guys think? :)

Offline Kenichi

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
Re:Do you watch the Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:00:55 PM »
Haven't had too much time to watch the Olympics this year, but I enjoy it when I get the chance.  Sometimes I wonder why some sports are actually Olympic events.  But it is fun to watch regardless. I also like to watch events in which there is an undisputed winner. For example, in the ski races there is no panel of judges to score one's performance.  The Superpipe and figure skating competitions are nice to watch and all, but it's all based on who a few select people think should win.
Honor is what you know of yourself. Reputation is what others think they know about you. Live by honor and let your reputation lie where it may. And outlive the bastards.

One day I will rule the world with my army of a mole of moles!

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:12:29 PM »
Well, being Italian, I'm feeling the Olimpic spirit too. I support the Italian athletes and I'm pleased when we get a medal.

Unfourtunately, I cannot ski, so it's hard for me to feel something else, apart from a sense of national pride.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
I am curious how good your TV coverage is in Italy (and elsewhere outside the USA).
Around 20 years ago, the coverage was full of *sports*.  Now, at least in the USA,
it is all 'human-interest feel-good' stories, excessive focus on on the the USA athletes,
filled out with too many commercials.  I confess I haven't watched much of these Olympics,
since the pattern of lame TV coverage for the past decade has turned me off.

I think, I could get digital TV and then pay extra for some real coverage now, but I am too cheep.  (So maybe it's my own fault?)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 02:52:05 PM »
Public TV in Poland - several hours a day of good coverage.

EuroSport - 24h a day. No idea if they are available now for free - not so long ago they were (digital/sat, but otherwise not coded, sevreal language versions).

I am not spending more than about half an hour a day by my TV (watching main news edition in public TV), so I have no idea what commercial stations in Poland do with the Olympic coverage. Eurosport is on during meals and chores, and about 30 minutes every second day when I am on my training bike :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:59:18 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 03:03:01 PM »
The whole event is broadcast by public television, which has dedicated an entire channel and its best journalists to the event.

Of course, the journalists pay particular attention to Italian athletes' performances, but I'd say they concentrate on the technical part rather than on the emotional one. I mean, they try to explain the audience principles and techniques of the different sports.

For what concerns the 'human-interest feel-good' stories, yesterday night there was a report on a couple of Chinese skaters who won the silver medal, althought the girl fell and probably got injured, but she managed to complete the exhibition. It was described as an example of the olympic ethos.

To sum up, we, the Italians, can enjoy a good coverage.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 03:41:37 PM »
Yes! Good Coverage here in Austria (although I watch the Games on the Italian channel) too.
BUT, I just finished watching the Slalom and there was one mini-advertising-spot every 5 minutes!!!
It was a bit annoying...  >:(

By the way, for those who have seen the race, did you see Bode Miller? He's a cheater!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 03:47:48 PM by Alberto_Kravina »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 08:20:35 PM »
I can second what Mark Kness said about TV coverage. I also think it's a turn off.

I didn't watch the ski race but around here Bode Miller is a local celebrity because he's from New Hampshire. The local TV stations always talk about him.

Personally the only thing I wanted to watch about the Olympics was the snowboarding, but I already missed that. When it's all said and done with I'll look up the stats and see who won different things.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Kenichi

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:34:56 PM »
I agree with you guys (constant and Mark).  American coverage sucks. I go to the Canadian channel whenever I want to watch the olympics cause I'm seeing as many commercials as I did the night of the superbowl and not enough events.  My chem professor was quite irate this morning since they didn't air any Curling games on the channels we get.  He, along with half the chem faculty, curl and aren't happy with the our coverage.  i can't say that I share their pain of missing curling, but I don't like the bad coverage either.  I see more channels with coverage of how our vice president shot a guy in a hunting accident than I do olympic sports.  It's quite sad.
Honor is what you know of yourself. Reputation is what others think they know about you. Live by honor and let your reputation lie where it may. And outlive the bastards.

Offline Kenichi

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »
Also, that whole thing with Michelle Kwan?!  If they stopped showing her pity tape and covered some events i think we Americans would be much more content.  I mean I think she's a great athlete and all who got hurt..but...Big friggen deal. There are dozens of athletes at every olympics who get hurt and are unable to compete.  Way too much touchy-feely, kinda emotional coverage of the lives of the athletes here. I mean I understand it's important to acknowledge and be aware of their sacrifices/losses/accomplishments etc., but I've seen more about our American athletes and their careers then all the other games put together.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 02:20:27 AM »
but I've seen more about our American athletes and their careers then all the other games put together.
Well, they talk quite much about Italian athletes on TV, but they aren't too emotional.

I didn't watch the ski race but around here Bode Miller is a local celebrity because he's from New Hampshire. The local TV stations always talk about him.
He continued the race although he was disqualified....  :P ... If I would do that in a ski race I'd get 50 penality points!! I think that Miller has to pay something for what he did...

Offline qlabel

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 02:46:48 AM »
Since you are a skiier, which races do you make? What is your favorite? I watch downhill, it's the best for me!
I personally watch only skiing in TV

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 02:55:33 AM »
Finnish charge free digital news channel puts out 12h of olympics per day without commercials. I haven't been watching much. Some curling, ice hockey and ski jump. Maybe some cross country skiing and biathlon once they start.
Dispite what many people think curling is actually very interesting. That USA - finland match was a real thriller.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 07:48:02 AM »
Since you are a skiier, which races do you make? What is your favorite? I watch downhill, it's the best for me!
I personally watch only skiing in TV
Slalom is my speciallity. I don't like high-speed races. I think that it is much better to make slalom races (I stopped to make down-hill races two years ago) than down-hill races. Giant slalom is also cool, super-G is OK...but Slalom is the best! :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 08:41:49 AM »
Biathlon.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links